metal crimp rope?

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been learning about braiding rope. As an alternative could you use a metal crimp to secure a 1/2" nylon rope back on itself?

alldodge

Staff member
I have been learning about braiding rope. As an alternative could you use a metal crimp to secure a 1/2" nylon rope back on itself?

Yes that will work, seen it done. Issue you run into is now you have a piece of metal on a line which can rub/scratch your boat.

But as an old Coastie, I prefer eye splicing. The easies way is to tie a bowline at the end and either use sail twin or tape to keep it from untying. Three layed line is easiest but double braid isn't that hard with the tools

robert graham

Admiral
Splicing is by far the best looking, but since I never learned to splice I just tie a knot and burn/ melt the ends of the rope to prevent fraying....

rbh

Fleet Admiral
If you have hollow core rope it is extremely easy to make an eye.

fishrdan

Admiral
If you have hollow core rope it is extremely easy to make an eye.

That depends on the hollow rope...

I have some 7/16 braided nylon rope that's hollow (Home Depot special) and thought I would be able to easily eye-splice and end-end splice it so I plunked down $8 for a nice aluminum fid. Right tool for the job, don't cheap out type thing.. Nope, the rope wouldn't open wide enough to slid a fid inside,,, a waste of $8 :facepalm: The problem was that the rope was a single layer braided rope without a core, it would open, but not enough.

Last edited:

shrew

Lieutenant
A crimp works in cable/wire rope, however it is not a great idea for line and would have the highest failure rate. A knot would be more preferable, though they claim a knot lowers the breaking strength of the line. (Interesting, since every line that I've seen part has not been the knot, though admittedly nearby). Splicing would be the most preferred method.

Get a good marlin spike/rigging knife and a set of Fids. A 5 piece Fid set would be good. A good splicing book is handy, though there are lots of good posts on you tube as well.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
You will get wear at the aluminum crimp. Far better to knot the rope. Braided is very difficult to splice and hollow braided rope ( line) is generally a bit weaker than three strand twisted. If poly, it requires a special technique to avoid the loop slipping under load.

A bowline is the accepted knot for tying a loop in the end of a line. It preserves much of the line strength, will not slip, and is easily untied.

Rabbit comes out of its hole, goes around the tree and goes back into its hole. Look it up-- If you remember the rabbit, it becomes easy to tie and will become second nature.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Metal crimp on a nylon/sisal/Poly (anything not metal) line is asking for the crimp to cut the line.

A good eye splice will minimally reduce the load capability of the line. A knot will reuce it more, but isw faar better than the metal squashing the line.

Watch a few youtubes of how to do the eye splices and never even think of the metal crimp again.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, an eye splice is best. With three strand nylon line, it was pretty easy to do. I have never had one slip, either.

shrew

Lieutenant
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...llow-core-rope

I just reposted this have a look, hope it helps

That is an example of a Brummel Splice and a ball point pen is being used as a fid. That will only work on hollow-core line. The method for a Brummel splice also varies depending on whether you're using the standing end or the working end. The OP did not mention the exact type of braided line he is using (e.g. Plait, Double-Braid, HollowCore, etc). Each uses a different method for splicing. Also in some cases the splice will depend on whether you are using Class1 Line (stretching: e.g. Nylon) or Class II line (static e.g. Dyneema, Vectran, etc)

Last edited: