what size motor does my boat need

es844

Cadet
I have a 14' tri hull 1972 southern star. transom is 16" tall at sides and 19" tall in center all measurements are to inside to floor. what size motor do i need? also boat is open with a small deck on front.

thumpar

Admiral
Does it have a capacity plate? That would give you a max and at least give you some information to start with.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
There may be a tag on the transom that indicates the maximum rating.
I think they usually suggest about 2/3 of the rating.
I would say 40 or 50 hp.
The outside dimension from top of the transom to the bottom of the transom will help determine shaft length.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Old glass 14'er with unknown transom and stringer condition. Not sure I want to venture a guess at what HP would be safe but if it were me with a tiller I wouldn't go above a 25.

pckeen

Commander
Some more pics would help - I would think 25-40hp is the range you are looking at. That's looking a little rough. How solid is that transom and floor?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Good answers provided unless you are a speed enthusiast. I think 40-50 would be a good area with 50 preferred with trim and tilt. Seems you never have enough horsepower and for a boat like that having remote control of the engine's position in the water is definitely a plus....if you can afford the luxury. Having a tilt switch at the bow (front) when you are fishing will be a definite asset for $20 or so. Bass fishing down here with downed timber, or close to the bank, shallow water, etc, really nice to be able to raise the engine without having to get out of your seat. BTDT

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I agree with Waterman until you do a thorough inspection of the transom, Deck, and stringers to ensure the boat is structurally sound and capable of dealing with any kind of power other than the trolling motor...I wouldn't want to even speculate as to appropriate motor size. IF, BIIIIIGGGG IF, All three were in Factory Fresh Condition then and only then would I personally want to hang more than a 40 hp on her and I'd think a 30 would be just about Perfection!!! That's an Old Dumb Okies opinion so take it for what it's worth.:D

Tn'T would be a good idea for a setup as shown but NOT absolutely necessary.

Last edited: