Aluminacraft C165 in saltwater yes/ no

tnq5546

Cadet
I bought a used 2010 Aluminacraft C165. It has a carpeted interior and has only been used in freshwater. Friends keep asking me to take it to Rockport for bay fishing. I like the idea, but don't want to damage my boat. The trailer is galvanized. Will I damage my toy if I put it in saltwater

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Short answer: nope. It's going to be fine. Rinse it all off with fresh water when you pull it out of the salt water. I prefer to launch my tin boat in fresh water and run it for a while after I get out of the salt.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Definitely run the engine in fresh water to flush out the salt.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Its salt water not battery acid! Aluminum boats spend 20 or 30 years in salt water, that's what they make anodes for. Just flush your motor and spray off the boat and trailer with fresh water when you pull it out. BTW, you may never go back to fresh water fishing once you have been in the ocean,its addictive.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
It will definitely hurt the resale value of the boat and trailer. Once either is dipped into the saline solution it carries a bad stigma that buyers do not like.

I'm not saying don't do it, just answering your question. I would also rinse the begizes out of the trailer. Wheels, axles bearings etc...

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
As a boater with many decades of living on both fresh and salt water, I have boats for each. I will not take my fresh water boats in salt water, once you do the clock starts ticking, every metal component on the boat will start to deteriorate. I know this sounds a little extreme, but its the way it is. You can boat on fresh water for decades and never have an issue with corrosion, one trip in the salt and it can be with you forever. I'm not saying I don't boat in salt water, only that that I know it will possibly create problems I need to deal with later.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As a boater with many decades of living on both fresh and salt water, I have boats for each. I will not take my fresh water boats in salt water, once you do the clock starts ticking, every metal component on the boat will start to deteriorate. I know this sounds a little extreme, but its the way it is. You can boat on fresh water for decades and never have an issue with corrosion, one trip in the salt and it can be with you forever. I'm not saying I don't boat in salt water, only that that I know it will possibly create problems I need to deal with later.

I have never heard such a pile of BS, a boat is only as good as the care you take of it. A properly taken care of boat will last just as long in salt as in fresh. I have a 1992 boat that has spent its entire life in salt water and its good for a long time yet.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I have never heard such a pile of BS, a boat is only as good as the care you take of it. A properly taken care of boat will last just as long in salt as in fresh. I have a 1992 boat that has spent its entire life in salt water and its good for a long time yet.

Your opinion doesn't quite line up with the facts. Salt water will age a boat much quicker than freshwater, the timeframe of the aging can be changed a bit by the care of the boat, but saltwater takes its toll on everything, and it starts on the first day it's launched. Its why Minnesota is full of older boats and motors in great shape and Florida isn't.

I've lived on the water since 1958, in 1966 we bought a second place on an island (saltwater, just sold that place last year), I have 9 boats at my house right now, some from each location, it's not hard to tell which ones were used in the salt, even if it was only for a short time.

Even when I upgraded to vinyl windows on the island house, the warranty was different if you lived near salt water.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I fished fresh and salt water as a teen down on the Gulf Coast. I had 2 sets of tackle, one for each. The boat was wooden and the engine was an 18 Evinrude. I did notice the salt water attack my things even though I kept them washed after every outing; I took care of my equipment. My thoughts on the subject are just what are you after, fishing fun or a relic? I can take a stand on either, both pos and neg. Your boat, your decision. But once in the salt it will show up as the corrosion sets in; obvious in subtle things like hardware and fastners, even SS parts. Also in buying a used boat I looked for one that did not have the signs, however by that time I had moved inland and didn't want a salt water boat there. Had I still been on the coast it wouldn't have mattered.

If you're talking about Rockport, TX. I fished there with my grandpa when I was a kid during summer vacation. We had some stellar times out in the bay fishing for speckled trout (spotted weakfish) and crabbing. We'd catch crabs wading with a dip net, crush them and put them in fish trap cages to catch "piggie pearch". Don't know why but the specks preferred the piggies over regular perch. Stripes were opposite from the regular perch is how you could tell them. Drift fished with popping corks. Jerk the line and the cork would make a splash like feeding trout which was used to lure them onto your bait. When a school was in the area you could smell them. Smelled like watermelon. Sounds crazy but true.

Great sport.

Mark

Willyclay

Captain
Salt water is hard on everything but I have been boating in it all my life and love it! Your boat is a 2010 and should be constructed of the latest and greatest alloy to prevent corrosion. However, fasteners and trailer parts like springs and shackles really take a beating. Any common steel parts will identify themselves very quickly after you dip your rig in salt water. Can't emphasize how important the fresh water rinsing of your boat and trailer is plus the motor flushing. Mark didn't even mention redfish (aka: red drum, spots, spot-tails). What a rush when you hook one of those beauties! Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Last edited:

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I feel the biggest hit would be resale. If you're in the boat you want, I wouldn't worry about it one single bit. I don't think it's necessary for me to repeat the prevention steps already listed above. Everybody has their own opinion, but dan t. said it the best. "It's saltwater, not battery acid". Just make DARN SURE none of it sits in your rig! A quick run in freshwater, a thorough wash and drain, and you're good as gold!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Salt water is hard on everything but I have been boating in it all my life and love it! Your boat is a 2010 and should be constructed of the latest and greatest alloy to prevent corrosion. However, fasteners and trailer parts like springs and shackles really take a beating. Any common steel parts will identify themselves very quickly after you dip your rig in salt water. Can't emphasize how important the fresh water rinsing of your boat and trailer is plus the motor flushing. Mark didn't even mention redfish (aka: red drum, spots, spot-tails). What a rush when you hook one of those beauties! Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Yes sir, for the "rush" the spot is king. But on the table I always preferred the spec.

tnq5546

Cadet
For now I think I am going to keep it out of saltwater. I have an old 7.5 gamefisher outboard and an extra trolling motor and fish finder I think I am going to see about getting a small Jon boat for the fishing the bays, and keep this boat for freshwater.

Willyclay

Captain
Multiple Boat Syndrome starts with the best of intentions and can quickly get out of control. Hope we didn't scare you too badly!

tnq5546

Cadet
No just don't know if I will be keeping this boat, so I don't want to ruin its resale value, personally I would keep it. I like the boat, it was bought as fishing boat for me and my son. After a few outings my wife and two daughters started coming with us, which is a lot of fun, but it is being used more as a swimming platform and pulling a tube then a fishing boat. If their interest continues I may by a bigger boat. Small saltwater boat, since I already have a small outboard is doable.