Chris craft 238 Vs Rinker captiva 232 Vs Reinell 240c

Rboats509

Cadet
I am looking at getting rid of my 1995 Mirage Trovare 202BR and get a slightly larger boat 23-25ft that is a cuddy. I am looking at the 3 following boats:

1994 Chris Craft Concept 238- $11,000 http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/4859811006.html
1998 Rinker Captiva 232- $13,000 http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/4845281630.html
2001 Reinell 240C $16,250 http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/4846361698.html

I am wanting peoples opinions on what would be the best boat and overall the best bang for the buck. All appear to be in good shape and have records for maintenance etc. I appreciate any and all comments and input.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2002 240C Reinell, and have owned a 2001 21' Rinker open bow. I think the quality of the boats are similar. Both seem to be middle of the road boats.
The Rinker had a 5.7 Mercruiser Mag, and an alpha drive. The Reinell I have has a Volvo 5.7 GXI 320hp. SX drive. Both have plenty of power. Would I want the the big block power ? Maybe. But for cruising both of these will do fine with the 5.7's and have good fuel economy. I would try and determine the boat that is the best condition overall. One thing we have noticed is the great layouts that Rinker comes up with. Look and see which boat works best for you. I'm not sure about the
horsepower of the Chris Craft, might be a lot less than the newer 5.7 Vortec engines. Look also at the trailers, and what covers come with the boats. Those cost add up to big bucks. Check and re-check the floors and transoms for rot. You want to see the engines run, and ask for maintenance records. Good luck Dave-R

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats . . .

I have always considered Chris-craft to be a top quality boat, but being older than the others is a consideration as well. Have you checked your pricing with any reference guides? BUCValue for example?

Which one do you like?

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
The Reinell has EFI which is a plus over the, what appears to be carburated Rinker. Rinker has the dual props which will be nice on a boat that style.

I own a larger 1995 Chris Craft. I feel it is very well built. Very few spider cracks on it, hardware has all held up well etc. I think CC's are higher quality than the other 2, however the age may negate that. If you are in salt water the CC also has fresh water cooling on it. The power will probably be ok, but the big blocks are better if you think you'll have a group of people on boar frequently.

One other thing to consider about the chris crafts of this era is the bow shape. You'll probably have all kinds of head room thanks to the shape, you also can barely walk on the bow. They are to rounded and smooth. My boat isn't even as bad as the one you posted and I have a great big scar on my leg from slipping. If you think you want to lay out on the bow, something really to consider. .

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
I had a 228 Concept, 1991. She didn't like rough water but was built well. AFAIK she's still out there being enjoyed.

Rboats509

Cadet
Thanks for all the input. I have not been able to get over to Seattle to look at the 2 over there but do like the Reinell although not having an hours meter is a little concerning. I did just find a 1995 Mariah z225 that is local. I am going to go look at it today. Any opinions on this one? http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/4867399304.html
Once again thank all of you SO much for your experience and knowledge

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
You seem to be finding boats with good power. You are smack in the middle of the danger zone for rotten floors and stringers. If you are going back that old, that should be your primary concern over hours. Check the link at the top of this forum for tips.