Cleaning small holding tank

Keith7481

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all, I have a 6 gallon, under the toilet holding tank that pumps out. Last time I did a pump out, I had some problems getting it to empty. While there is a chance there was a problem with the pump at the station, I also thought I saw what I expect was a paper towel that was placed into the holding tank, no doubt by a friend on board. I suspect either the line to the pumpout fitting, or the connection from the holding tank to the line is partially plugged. So, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for top notch holding tank cleaners, I'd like to avoid having to disconnect the hose that connects the toilet to the pumpout fitting and do a snaking, but will if I have to. Would prefer to use a good liquid etc. that will break up even paper that tough. Of course I could get lucky next pump out and find out it was just a pump problem to begin with. I do use a holding tank deodorizer/decomposer on a regular basis. Any recommendations on good biodegrading products is appreciated. If the line itself if partially plugged, I suspect the cleaner will not do as much, other suggestions?

alldodge

Staff member
Hi all, I have a 6 gallon, under the toilet holding tank that pumps out. Last time I did a pump out, I had some problems getting it to empty. While there is a chance there was a problem with the pump at the station, I also thought I saw what I expect was a paper towel that was placed into the holding tank, no doubt by a friend on board. I suspect either the line to the pumpout fitting, or the connection from the holding tank to the line is partially plugged. So, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for top notch holding tank cleaners, I'd like to avoid having to disconnect the hose that connects the toilet to the pumpout fitting and do a snaking, but will if I have to. Would prefer to use a good liquid etc. that will break up even paper that tough. Of course I could get lucky next pump out and find out it was just a pump problem to begin with. I do use a holding tank deodorizer/decomposer on a regular basis. Any recommendations on good biodegrading products is appreciated. If the line itself if partially plugged, I suspect the cleaner will not do as much, other suggestions?

Over time all paper will degrade. Can you hit it with a spray nozzle from a garden hose from the pump out opening?

Keith7481

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure if you mean the opening where it connects to the hose or the pumpout opening on the hull. The line from the hull to the toilet is a good 12 feet with bends/turns, the hose it big enough that I can probably push a small garden hose into it and reverse flush that way, but that means doing it in the driveway with no way to pump out then. Could try to flush with a garden hose from the toilet side to see if that loosens up anything that might be blocking the connection to the hose? If the paper is degrading, then I would think that by the spring maybe it will just pass through without problems. Was planning to put some extra decomposer in there as soon as I get the shrink wrap off and see if that helps by the time I'm ready to roll for the summer.

alldodge

Staff member
Not sure if you mean the opening where it connects to the hose or the pumpout opening on the hull. The line from the hull to the toilet is a good 12 feet with bends/turns, the hose it big enough that I can probably push a small garden hose into it and reverse flush that way, but that means doing it in the driveway with no way to pump out then. Could try to flush with a garden hose from the toilet side to see if that loosens up anything that might be blocking the connection to the hose? If the paper is degrading, then I would think that by the spring maybe it will just pass through without problems. Was planning to put some extra decomposer in there as soon as I get the shrink wrap off and see if that helps by the time I'm ready to roll for the summer.

In your first post it lead me to believe that you could see the paper down the hose, my misunderstanding. The paper will degrade but it will need to remain wet somehow. If the paper dry's out it will stay that way until it gets wet again. I would try flushing some how. If there is a truck stop somewhere they usually have a pump out station, but may have to wait do to it sounds like your shrink raped.

Keith7481

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Great idea, will go there after removing the cover, I'm thinking sooner is probably better. Thanks. K

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW sounds like a pretty crappy job... :facepalm: I can't even visualize cleaning out such a tank. When I first read the title. I was thinking maybe the live well or something like that. Seems others have good ideas and therefore I will let them comment about things to do. But I have to agree, that flushing that tank out seems the best deal. But how you can accomplish that at your home, is beyond me. I certainly wouldn't want the remaining flushed out substance on my driveway or yard... Maybe a large trash type container to hold the stuff... IDK... :eek:

agallant80

Commander
One thing to add is someone once told me to put a little bit of the HE washing detergent (fir front loading washers) in the tank to keep it clean. I have been doing it for two years and I can still see through the plastic in the tank.

shrew

Lieutenant
Items like paper towels typicaly get hung on where fittings are located. Sometimes it will occur in the middle of the hosse due to size and inability to quickly break down. You might be able to allow itself to work out over time. Otherwise, you're going to need to crack open the system and fix the problem. This will help to fix your original problem. Every guest comes aboard from here on in will get a detailed lecture on what NOT to flush in the head. ;)

Keith7481

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That is for absolute certain :) I might even post a sign, like that will get read, LOL If I have to open the system to get at it, I can do it, its all very accessible. Will try the detergent in the tank as well. Thanks.