was just givin a boat and know nothing about boats looking for some help

kellyjo

Recruit
We were just givin a 1971 bayliner and know nothing about them, or any boat for that matter. How do we find out what type and size engine it has. It is a 4cylinder inboard but no idea on make and have no idea on model of boat. I can give you the hull number if that would help. oh yeah the engine has 2 carbs. I hope someone out here can help. the boat is 19.02 long and seats a max of 8 ppl

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well welcome aboard there kelljo :welcome: always great to have a new boater join us.

One thing I have to say before getting into specifics is "A free boat is the costliest boat you will ever own".

For starters, post a few pictures of your new (to you) boat so we all can size up what you have and how you are going to proceed to get it ready to use. The Hull number is a good start as well. But take side views, trailer, engine inside and every angle you can get a good picture of and come back and post them. That way we can assist in both identifying the boat, trailer, engine and any issue we can easily see.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Sounds like you could have an old Volvo Penta GM 2.5 L by your description of the 2 carbs, they would most likely be single barrel downdrafts. But to know for sure some pics of the motor and out drive would be handy.

thumpar

Admiral
Pics will get you all the answers you need. Take some of the engine and the drive.

pckeen

Commander
Hi,

Congrats on the new to you boat. I'm guessing that the 'dump it' comment above refers to the notion that sometime, a 'free' boat can often be a lot more expensive than shelling out some cash for a boat in better shape. Not always true....if what you have is in good shape.

Post some pics of the boat and motor, and invite comments - there are lots of users here who can take a look at it and id any obvious flaws in what you have. A boat that age may have some real problems, or you may have got lucky.

Take a look through some of the fiberglass restoration threads; that will give you an idea of what can go wrong on a boat like yours, and what is involved in fixing it.

For a quick few things to look at: check the floors. Any softness will mean you will need a floor, stringer and probably a transom replacement (some $$ and lots of work). Check out all the mechanics - does the motor turn over, do the steering components work. Check out the trailer carefully - make sure the frame is in good shape. Check out the hull for cracks or obvious signs of damage. Look over the seating - if it is all shot, then you are looking at a potentially expensive repair. If all these things are good, then this may be a boat worth keeping. If you have problems in all these areas, then don't start putting money into it: sell it off for parts. If you have problems in some areas, but not all.....well.....then the resto threads will give you an idea of what is involved.

Lastly, make sure you have title to the boat before you even consider trying to fix it up.

Best of luck, and welcome to iboats. If you do decide to keep it, lots of good advice and help on here.

pckeen

Commander
[QUOTEwe have the title I would not have even brought it home if title was not in hand. That being said there are no soft spots in floor and rudder moves with steering wheel and all seat are impecable shape, no dents, dings,scratches of any kind has had one owner and that man used it 2 to 3 times a year during the summer months and dry docked it the rest of the year the reason we got it is the man died and his wife got tired of looking at it so we got it. I am having trouble downloading pictures of the boat for some reason but I will when I figure it out.][/QUOTE]

Just got this answer from the OP. With this in mind, sounds like this might be worth playing with to get it running and going. Begin with a splash / leak test to make sure the hull is solid. Looking forward to picks when you can work this out.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
#1.... Get together with the local USCG auxilary for a boat inspection.

They'll guide you in ensuring you have all the correct safety equipment.
This will not check how sound the hull or motor is... unless there are very obvious issues.

They should also give you a booklet with basic boating rules.

#2.... Its better to be parnoid about lifejackets than to fall overboard and need one while not wearing it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
[QUOTEwe have the title I would not have even brought it home if title was not in hand. That being said there are no soft spots in floor and rudder moves with steering wheel and all seat are impecable shape, no dents, dings,scratches of any kind has had one owner and that man used it 2 to 3 times a year during the summer months and dry docked it the rest of the year the reason we got it is the man died and his wife got tired of looking at it so we got it. I am having trouble downloading pictures of the boat for some reason but I will when I figure it out.]
.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you might have found one of "Those" kind of Boats. If she's been well cared for, Garage Kept and Mechanically maintained then She could still be in good shape. With the interior being as you say, it kinda sounds like she is. Open a Free Photobucket account and load your pics to it. Then you will see links for each pic. If you click on the IMG Code link it should flash yellow and say COPIED. When that happens you can return to iBoats and Paste the image directly into your post.

Look forward to seeing the pics.