Boat selection question

G

Hey all, i am moving next week to jacksonville florida. I am looking for buy a nice fishing boat center console style that i would feel safe taking 5-10 miles off shore (nothing to far). I will also need to trailer it with a 4cyl suv (not trying to rip transmission out) price at around 5-7k max but cheapef the better. What i am looking for is suggestions on brand, size and ob size for a decent 30mph. Thanks in advance for your help

robert graham

Admiral
Aluminum boats for light weight to pull with 4 cylinder SUV, a V-hull/dead rise for Ocean/St. John's River chop/currents/waves/etc.....St.Johns River/ICW in the Jacksonville area has heavy shipping traffic and strong currents, so consider boating the creeks and channels to be safe.....good luck!

Volphin

Lieutenant
I'd go for a 21ft or larger Boston Whaler. They are pretty light and easy to handle in the chop.

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't worry about your 4 cly motor. There are zero hills in Jacksonville. You can also get to many boat ramps on side roads and never go over 40 mph.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
5-7K really limits your choices to old, very old, and really old. It will take some diligent searching and inspection once you find one.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Not sure I would call 10 miles offshore "not to far" especially in the ocean.. Center consoles are great fishing boats, but offer a very wet ride when choppy, also difficult to seat more than a couple people but if they suit your needs then go for it. I see your biggest problem is "Florida", boats down there are well used and more costly. Up here in the great lakes area a nice used boat can be had easily for the 5-7 range you are looking at. You may want to consider looking away further inland for a boat at a better price then tow it to where you need to go. Go inland a few hundred miles away from ocean and major inland lakes and boat prices become much more attractive.

G

Not sure I would call 10 miles offshore "not to far" especially in the ocean.. Center consoles are great fishing boats, but offer a very wet ride when choppy, also difficult to seat more than a couple people but if they suit your needs then go for it. I see your biggest problem is "Florida", boats down there are well used and more costly. Up here in the great lakes area a nice used boat can be had easily for the 5-7 range you are looking at. You may want to consider looking away further inland for a boat at a better price then tow it to where you need to go. Go inland a few hundred miles away from ocean and major inland lakes and boat prices become much more attractive.

Yes i agree, I live in new york now and boats are dirt cheap here