Bass Boat Drain Plug fitting doesn't seal the inside face of transom. Normal?

777funk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I notice that the transom wood is wet and that there's no flange to seal the inside of the drain plug fitting. It's a simple bronze flange screwed to the outside of the transom and accepts a 1/2" NPT plug.

I'm not comfortable with the transom inside not sealing. But I think it's stock. Is this ok?

64osby

Admiral
Pictures would really help.

Doesn't sound like a good setup if the wood is wet. Is it the fault of the plug or water in the boat?

777funk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Picture a standard transom (fiberglass / plywood / fiberglass). On the outside all is well. There's a fitting with a lip and a seal screwed to the hole. Looks like this (see attached).

BUT... that's all she wrote. There's nothing on the inside or on the through hole to prevent water hitting the wood as it drains through the bottom of the transom out the drain plug.

Attachments

• photo214497.gif
    photo214497.gif
    37.1 KB · Views: 0

UncleWillie

Captain
The manufacturer should have lined the hole with a piece of plastic sleeving and sealed it in well.
If the wood is wet; Most of us have at least another 4 months before boating season starts again to let it dry out.

Then fit a piece of PVC water pipe in the hole and set it in a solid bed of 3M 4000/5200 Marine Sealant.

Volphin

Lieutenant
You can speed up the drying with a dehumidifier. I use one in the garage in the off season.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Most every boat I've seen had their drain plug go in from the outside. And that is because the pressure of the lake water (or river, ocean whatever) presses against that plug pushing it in towards the inside of the boat. So no need for any type plug installed front the inside. If an inside plug was the only plug keeping out the water thought the drain hole, the pressure would probably push it out eventually, unless it was threaded in. As for the through hull hole for the drain, it has to be totally dried out like previous commenters stated and then sealed with some very good water proofing substance and/or brass, PVC, stainless steel or something to that effect to keep water from ever again reaching the transom wood material. Otherwise you will be replacing your transom, and soon too... In fact if it has been wet since manufactured because of lack of a proper drain hole tube, you better really look it over now to see what damage has already taken place to the transom. Sitting wet wood doesn't take very long to rot...

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Sorry but I guess I'm not picturing this the same way as everyone else. My obvious question is why is there exposed wood on the inside of a transom on a fiberglass boat? Next question is, how much wood is exposed? Is this an aftermarket drain or is it original?
I find it hard to believe a builder would not use some type of thru-hull fitting on a glass boat.

64osby

Admiral
Sorry but I guess I'm not picturing this the same way as everyone else. My obvious question is why is there exposed wood on the inside of a transom on a fiberglass boat? Next question is, how much wood is exposed? Is this an aftermarket drain or is it original?
I find it hard to believe a builder would not use some type of thru-hull fitting on a glass boat.

+1 on this.

Pictures would help, but it sounds like someone did some work on it and added that drain plug instead of a standard drain fitting.

How much water do you get in the boat and where does it come from?

777funk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There's a drain hole through the transom and on the inside if I reach through it (past the inner layer of fiberglass), I can of course feel the core wood of the transom. There's not a through fitting or flange on the inside to keep water from the wood as it goes through the drain hole.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Sorry to hear that! I now have a clearer picture of your situation. Whomever did that install didn't really do it correctly. Without some type of way to seal the wood core it will absorb water and cause all sorts of problems if it hasn't already. Hopefully it's not too late and it can be repaired properly.