Downrigger mount for a 16 ft Gregor?

Nino8888

Recruit
Hi All,

New member here and this is my first post. I'm interested in putting a downrigger mount or two on my 16 ft Gregor. I know I can purchase mounting brackets but am curious to see what others with similar boats have done. I need something strong enough to handle 10-12 pound downrigger balls as well as a Scotty pot puller for crab/shrimp pots.

Here's a pic of where I'd like to put them. Thoughts?

Thank you!!!

2015-01-20_9-15-39.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, Nino.

I haven't done what you are planning. But whatever you build is going to have to spread the stress so the weight/force of the downriggers and pot puller isn't concentrated.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I could see bendin' a flat piece of aluminum, say 6" wide, to go from the gunnel/ rubrail, flat mountin' spot, 'n then down to the edge of that compartment,...
Just pop-rivet in place with 3 or 4 rivets at each end,...

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Welcome aboard. Bondo gave you a good idea.

My thoughts are that you might want to mount them further back. Its really hard to turn with them that far forward even with very small turns. Also, any side current or wind can make the lines run under the boat. Many people make a trolling board that goes all the way across just ahead of the motor and mount downriggers and rod holders on that. Before I had a dedicated salmon trolling boat I had a board across and it was removable so I could take all the salmon stuff off when I went fishing for other species.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would build brackets as Bondo suggested but mount them at the rear corners, most Scotty downriggers have a rod holder built in. Turning can be a problem if they are mounted anywhere but the rear 2 feet of hull.