Shurflow Pump won't shut off

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi y'all,

Installed a new fresh water pump this fall (SHURFLO AQUA KING AUTOMATIC 3.0 GPM FRESH WATER PUMP Part#' 3901-0216 3901-0206) and already knew I have a minor leak in the system. For the first 2 months, everything worked great; pump would run until its pressure switch tripped, then it would shut off. Like the old pump, every so often, it would cycle to satisfy the leak.

In October, though, it started to never turn off. You can hear it get real close, because the pitch would start to change, but it doesn't stop. We removed the engine hatch covers and can't see any rush of water entering the bilge. All the pipes we can track down are dry.

Is it possible the pump pressure switch has failed? I guess I can disconnect the output of the pump and put a plug (cap) on it for testing. I'll give an update once I get this test done. In the mean time, any comments or other suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robb

alldodge

Staff member
Hi y'all,

Installed a new fresh water pump this fall (SHURFLO AQUA KING AUTOMATIC 3.0 GPM FRESH WATER PUMP Part#' 3901-0216 3901-0206) and already knew I have a minor leak in the system. For the first 2 months, everything worked great; pump would run until its pressure switch tripped, then it would shut off. Like the old pump, every so often, it would cycle to satisfy the leak.

In October, though, it started to never turn off. You can hear it get real close, because the pitch would start to change, but it doesn't stop. We removed the engine hatch covers and can't see any rush of water entering the bilge. All the pipes we can track down are dry.

Is it possible the pump pressure switch has failed? I guess I can disconnect the output of the pump and put a plug (cap) on it for testing. I'll give an update once I get this test done. In the mean time, any comments or other suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robb

I'm thinking you have a leak and have just not yet found it. It could be pumping all the water into an area you cannot see. Fill your water tank up and see if it keeps going down. Does your head use fresh water from the tank? Do you have a transom shower?

Robbabob

The head uses lake water, and there is no transom shower. I know capping of the outlet is a long shot.

Oh yeah, I believe the old pump ran at 40 psi, this new one runs at 50 psi. Might be just enough higher to force a now constant leak. If the leak is behind the cabinets, I am not sure what I am going to do.

Thanks.

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Rob,

I had a similiar problem with our ChrisCraft cruiser this spring. The pump would not shut off and most of the 42 gallon fresh water tank was pumped into the bilge. We had a compression water connection pop off in the kitchen module (hot water to the sink). It was a project figuring how to get to the bottom of the faucet to make the repair. We had to unscrew (~10 screws) the front of the module and pull all drawers out to get access. Once we could see the faucet base the, the solution (reattachment) took a couple of minutes. Pipes, tubing,and plumbing were in good shape. I believe we had some water that froze in the faucet and pushed the compression fitting apart. This year we took special care to blow out all water near the faucets.

Your problem might also be a "leak back" issue around the pump - through a defective check valve. I suggest you get down in the bilge and have an assistant turn the pump switch on & off to see or hear water running into your bilge from some leakage point. Some detective work is definitely needed before a repair can be made.

Happy hunting !!

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Oh yeah, I believe the old pump ran at 40 psi, this new one runs at 50 psi. Might be just enough higher to force a now constant leak. If the leak is behind the cabinets, I am not sure what I am going to do.

Thanks.
Your leak would have to exceed 3 GPM to stay ahead of the pump. At that rate, your leak would have drained your tank in short time.

The first thing I would do is to make sure the shutoff valve is operational. Then take the valve apart and clean it. Install a stainer on the intake if you don't already have one.

Robbabob

We are heading to the boat Saturday. I'm taking a 1/2" - 14 cap to plug the output of the pump, then I'm going to get a couple ball valves to install after the T in the bilge; this will help to determine whether the issue is port or starboard side of the boat. Then, I guess it's cabinet removal time.

Come to think of it, the port side has the ice maker (which is over the bilge) then the salon sink. Both are accessible, to a point, to feel for water. The starboard side has the shower and the head sink; not at all accessible to feel for water. Looks like I'm going to be a contortionist this weekend.

Thanks for the additional input!

Robb

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Ok, here is what happend to me. Could not find any leaks anywhere,pump continued to run constantly. I capped the pump,then it would shut off. That ruled out the pump. But had no internall leaks inside. I had the pump on,running,and was deciding what to do,standing on the aft deck,saw a small swirl of water movement at the exhaust on the stb motor-inboard motor. Thought about ot for a couple minutes,,,,aahhh...yes. The water heater heat exchanger had developed a leak,so the water was dumping out through the heat exchanger,out through the exhaust. New heater solved the issue. Try capping the water heater lines where the engine lines bring the heated water from the motor.

Robbabob

First off, this is funny! "If ya can't fix it with a hammer,ya got yourself an electrical problem."

On the leak, we didn't make the time to work on it this weekend. Too many things got in the way of this issue. All very good input, including the possibility of the water heater. It's a B.O.A.T., we're prepared.

Robbabob

Update, 3 months later, man it's been a busy winter. The pump is bad.

Could have just purchased the $0.57 1/2" cap, but then I got to thinking, "What if it's just the higher pressure?" So, I purchased a gate valve; which can also shut off to test the pump. Yup, pump did the same thing with absolutely no flow coming out. Tapped it with the light end of a wrench and it did shut off.

Feeling very lucky, too! I emailed the place I bought it from on Ebay. He said to return it and pay the shipping on a replacement.

I do appreciate all the input on what it could have been, if not a bad pump.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Glad it's working well! Also glad you updated on the issue. Many times we are left hanging on what really happend,and what was done to resolve the issue. Glad it was not the water heater!