Center Console Conversion Project Boat

Mercboy

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone. I need some opinions and advice here from anyone who has it! I aquired a very nice 18' deep-v closed-bow fishing boat hull and trailer yesterday from a buddy, FREE!!! Can't beat that. There is no hull ID or manufacturing info on the hull, so I don't know what kind of boat it is. It appears to be an early 70's Larson, Searay, etc. or something like that. It is an outboard boat with a deep motorwell, and the hull is in very good condition. The bow has a good deal of flare, so I think it will make a good ocean boat. Any ideas on how to convert it to a center console, where to find a used console, etc? All of the stringers have been replaced in the hull, and I am going to spray foam in between them for floatation. Help me here!!! Thanks. :confused:

D

DJ

Re: Center Console Conversion Project Boat

Mercboy,<br /><br />Been there done that. Many boats can be converted to CC's. Once you've driven a CC, you'll never want to go back.<br /><br />You have a couple of challenges.<br /><br />1. Used CC's are HARD to find. I'm in the hunt now.<br /><br />2. You will have to get access below the floor. <br /><br />Once you decide where you want to place the console you will have to cust holes in the floor to run the control, steering cables, etc. through. You will have to run the cables alongside one of the stringers. Also, you'll have to hope there are no cross braces (between stringers) between the console and where the cables will exit up near the transom.<br /><br />Other than that, there's not much to it.

Mercboy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks djohns19. There are no cross beams between the stringers, and I have full access to the inside of the hull to run the control cables and electrical wiring. I think I am going to epoxy and foam into place a PVC pipe along a stringer for the cables. I think I have found a console, the helmsman one that is made by Todd Corporation. They also make a couple of cool swingback cooler seats. How did you do your floor and decks? did you use 3/4 plywood and fiberglass over it? I'm trying to get ideas!<br /><br />Thanks

joe parker

Seaman Apprentice

hi mercboy, have you ever seen the t.v. show "shipshape"? that guy did what you are talking about with an older wellcraft hull. it turned out pretty cool. I think they have a web-site. shipshapetv or something like that. what part of atl. are you in? I'm in Marietta.

Mercboy

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Joe Parker! I live in Sugar Hill, which is in between Buford and Cumming. I work in Kennesaw though, so I know your neck of the woods very well. I'll have to check out the shipshape site.

beluga

Cadet

hi Ga.,<br />Im from Atl orginally, Live in fl now, there is a place in Fort Pierce, Fl. called Marine Connection he has a large inventory of consoles new and used, you just need to determine the dimensions you want, I just replaced my console on my 25' SeaVee, good luck

D

DJ

captbb,<br /><br />Do you have phone number for the place with the consoles?

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

I suggest you use the following key words to search the net:<br /><br />Steering Console<br />Helmsman Console<br />Steering Controls<br />Helm Station<br /><br />I'm not endorsing a specific product but I found the type of console I'm interested in for my 18 footer at:<br /> www.nautical-outfitters.com www.boatseatsonline.com <br /><br />Don't overlook the consoles made by some of the inflatable boat companies.... Sea Eagle, Zodiac, etc.<br /><br />I'm only about two days ahead of you as I also am searching for a console. Hopefully there are others who can help us more. :D

D

DJ

Tried the websites and a search, came up with ZIP! Any other suggestions. Are you guys holding out hoping you'll get the right one first! :D

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class
D

DJ

Warhorse,<br /><br />Thanks. Good stuff.

Mercboy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks a million, Warhorse.

peacekeeper6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Did he ever do it? How would taking the top off compromise the hull structure? would putting a new deck down suffice? could this be done with a cabin cruiser? or is the hull to high?

X G Man

Recruit
Mercboy, I hope your project works out! I have a question some of the others might know about re my helm seat on my center console...apropo for you, if you get one of these. The seat is a replacement and I have no idea who made it. It has a back that can be rotated forward or back. The seat covers a cavity..."ice chest"? But there is no drain hole!! Its about 3-4 inches thick at the base and I am wondering how to install a drain!?

jbcurt00

Staff member
If MercBoy hasn't finished project in the last 12 years, I don't think he's going to. Best to leave inactive Topics in the archives, like a library book: for research and not to be written in..

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Yes - This is the same as scribbling in the margins of a library book. You question has nothing to do this this topic. Start a new topic for answers. Thanks.