Best way to clean mold / mildew from cabin???

shepster

Cadet
I have a 2001 Maxum 2300SC that has a forward cabin. The carpet in overhead and side has developed mold / mildew spots along with the cushions. What have you guys found best works for cleaning that off.

Thanks,
Shep

64osby

Admiral
Sometimes I work on homes with mold issues. Tilex mold and mildew does a great job of killing the mold. You will want to test a small area to see if it affects the color of the vinyl or carpet.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Tilex does work wonders for certain, but it surely does change the color on so many fabrics as well. So maybe pull the carpet out and clean, then reinstall some new back in... The cushions should clean easily if there are vinyl.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Try some ammonia. That kills 90% of bacteria (bleach kills 99% of bacteria, but changes color). You can also try the purple cleaner, simple green and spray9. They will kill mildew, if it is not too bad.

robert graham

Admiral
Mild Clorox and warm water solution, an old toothbrush, some rags....get it on and off as quick as you can to minimize any adverse effects....

pckeen

Commander
Starbrite is a good product for this - we used it to good effect on a tent trailer.....then you have to make sure it doens't return. Heads up - with all bleach based products, they can degrade cloth and vinyl, so rinse well.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
I've used this stuff and another one very similar but cant recall the exact name. Got them both at Menards.
4WGE2_AS01.JPG

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Usually anything that does a decent job will also work hard on the material. So get it cleaned and off as quickly as possible. And seriously, don't mix and Clorox and bleach product solutions together unless you have an extremely good air respirator...and that isn't a dust mask either! The fumes are very toxic and will kill you....dead!

We used a water and vinegar solution.It worked and have never had a problem. Also we use "Starbrite No Damp Moisture Bucket" and Starbrite No Damp Hanging Moisture Absorber". I was a little sceptical at first about these products but I am a beliver now. In 5 yrs we have had no problem.