removing marine paint from fiberglass

87Stratos

Cadet
I'm thinking about removing marine paint from my fiberglass boat using oven cleaner. Would anyone highly recommend NOT doing this?<br />I plan on using it in small areas to remove lettering. I only plan on leaving it on the fiberglass for a few seconds. is there any other method that you would recommend?

D

DJ

Re: removing marine paint from fiberglass

Stratos,<br /><br />I do not know if you are planning to completely refinish the boat or not? This scares me a bit.<br /><br />If you want to just remove vinyl lettering, etc. there are products amde to do just that. Any auto body supply house has spray cans available that are inteded for that purpose. It usually works on painted on letters too. Mineral spirits or tulol will remove painted on letters.<br /><br />Do not use Acetone.

87Stratos

Cadet

The size of the area is small. I'm tring to remove the license letters and numbers that were painted on by hand with a marine paint on the fiberglass.

max366

Cadet

I used EZ Off to remove painted letters from the side of my FG boat. The letters had been on for about 8 yrs. Came right off with no shadow. I wonder if oven cleaner can be used to remove bottom paint.

87Stratos

Cadet

Thanks Max366. I'm going to try it. The letters have been on the boat for about 15 years and still going strong.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Yo 87<br />'bout any solvent iz o-k to use on f/g EXCEPT methylele chloride and I think that's what's in EZ-OFF. 60 sec. or so is probably o-k but no longer. Rinse real good with water. Also, the thick, gooie paint strippers contain methylene chloride and that's the ONLY thing that will break down properly cured polyester. An' that's a fact Strat--os.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

max366

Cadet

EZ Off does not have methylene chloride; it's basically sodium hydroxide (caustic aka lye), which does a great job of breaking down organic materials. Paint is organic but so is fiberglass resin. However, FG is cured (polymerized) and resistant to caustic. Still, I wouldn't leave it on for more than a minute or so. Use lots of water and to be sure, use a mixture of baking soda in water to neutralize the caustic. It's amazing to watch the paint wrinkle and come right off.

87Stratos

Cadet

Ok guys, the job is completed. I started out using the EZ off oven cleaner but would have taken weeks to break down the marine paint. After a great deal of research I opted for Industrial Strength Citristrip (the orange stuff). It clearly states right on the front of the container "No Methylene Chloride". I applied generiously and let sit for a few minutes but I found 10 minutes more effective. After 10 minutes I scubbed hard with a toothbrush (using the plastic tip at times)then wipping off. I then applied more letting it stand for a few more minutes and scrubbing again and wip clean. The third application did the trick. This worked perfectly without even dulling the clearcoat on the fiberglass. I would highly recommend this Citristrip but be prepared to spend a few hours.