anchor systems what's the best type anchor winch for a 22 ft hardtop islanders.

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Fishing Erie perch most times we use a 100 ft anchor line and 6 ft chain. Like to find a electric anchor winch with 150 - 200 just in case. All I see is 100 ft. Wondering if any one uses one of these or any other. Fish contest in erie mostly.

alldodge

Staff member
Fishing Erie perch most times we use a 100 ft anchor line and 6 ft chain. Like to find a electric anchor winch with 150 - 200 just in case. All I see is 100 ft. Wondering if any one uses one of these or any other. Fish contest in erie mostly.

I take it you want to install an anchor windless and need it to be able to pull up 200 feet of rode and anchor. For that size I would suggest a horizontal model, something like a Lewmar 700 or Maxwell HRC6. I have the older Maxwell 500 on my cruiser and I'm all chain (150 feet), never had a problem with it.

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok ive seen them awful expensive though. Also their not a winch are they? The ones i seen used you had to hold the tension on the rope i thought. Or can you sit in cockpit and run them? Sorry not that familiar with them.

alldodge

Staff member
Ok ive seen them awful expensive though. Also their not a winch are they? The ones i seen used you had to hold the tension on the rope i thought. Or can you sit in cockpit and run them? Sorry not that familiar with them.

They are anchor winches, also called windless. The ones which you can wrap the line around and they assist in the hoisting are a windless with a capstan, or a capstan by them selves

Winch with capstan
maxwell%20rc02-03.jpg

Capstan
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WCH-800-MARINE-CAPSTAN-ANCHOR-WINCH-WINDLASS-POT-PULLER-/171608447555
8434649.jpg

anchormax_feature.jpg

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, I want a winch then. One that spools line. But not worth more then my boat! ;)

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A winch with a drum that will hold 200 ft of line is a pretty good sized piece of equipment. Probably a lot bigger than you want to mount on the bow of a 22 ft boat. The cheapest solution is a bouy type anchor puller, everyone uses them here on the west coast , much faster than a winch and much less money invested.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
I second the buoy. Have used that method deep water jigging lake trout on Lk Superior fishing in 225'. Very fast. Had a circular laundry basket to coil the anchor line into.

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well we use the buoy system now. But even the dragging in the line is a lot for some of my elderly and disabled. Well i found a small Windlass a Breeze. And after inspection of the 22.10 i find there is a place to dump the rope. I will need to make a whole and add a basket. But looks doable. Got to wait for nicer weather though.

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I believe but will check to be sure before buying. I believe its about 24"