I think I'll keep her:

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
We had to replace the travel cover on a 2002 Reinell 240C. The going rate was about a grand. My wife who is an excellent seamstress decided to make it. She used sunbrella fabric and binding. She used her industrial Nakajima and her Bernina. Had to buy a binder to help put the binding on for the edges. Cost was about 300$ for materials. I liked the way she used vinyl also over all the stress points and velcro where there were openings like the bimini poles. She also added straps to the back so you can pull it tight to fasten the snaps. Turned out great. She has always repaired or replaced many a boat seat and sunpad, and bolsters on the many boats we've had . Yea she's a keeper. Dave-R

Attachments

• photo213784.jpg
    photo213784.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo213785.jpg
    photo213785.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo213786.jpg
    photo213786.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo213787.jpg
    photo213787.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1

rotozuk

Seaman Apprentice
Very impressive work. Looks like she knows her way around the machines.

Capt. Willie

Seaman Apprentice
She did a great job

Here in Vegas, the sun really drys out the vinyl, etc, many boat for sale ads, "Interior needs some TLC". She could do good business, in the spring anyway.

Boating weather today....Sunny, calm, and 67 degrees.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Good job. She use webbing to reinforce the edge where the snaps go?

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Bruce : She used both vinyl and Sunbrella strips cut on a diagonal for this. I liked your posting with the webbing though, very good idea which we will use on the next cover. Wife had a lot of trouble getting the binder set up right. She tweaked with this for hours. I think we used 100 miles of thread just for the surger. She is learning bad habits from me though. Every cabinet job we do, I invent a reason for a new tool. This got her a new binder, and Snap install tool holder that we mounted on nice formica pad, and new sets of grommet setting tools for the grommets. Also during the binding operation the clutch motor started squealing, and of course we ordered a new Servo motor to replace and update the machine. Was a big job for her. But the main reason we like things like this, is the learning how to do things ourselves. The experience is well worth the time and money saved. Do you agree? Dave-R

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Nice work. I need a new canvass enclosure on my flybridge this spring and I dread the cost.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW some really nice workmanship there. Those capabilities/skills can't be learned over night that's for sure. My wife and I actually like doing things like that and we rebuilt an old Geo Prism car that the PO looked like she drove it in a demolition derby with every panel dented and even trashed the inside beyond recognition. and figured spray painting everything inside black was neat looking...even the gauges! SMH! But both my wife and I rebuilt that entire car back to new just to see if we could and to gain the experience. It looked show room after we were done. My wife took the old seat covers off and apart for new patterns. And she remade new ones and they looked amazing. So this boat cover your wife made was very well assembled... :thumb: :thumb:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Bruce : She used both vinyl and Sunbrella strips cut on a diagonal for this. I liked your posting with the webbing though, very good idea which we will use on the next cover. Wife had a lot of trouble getting the binder set up right. She tweaked with this for hours. I think we used 100 miles of thread just for the surger. She is learning bad habits from me though. Every cabinet job we do, I invent a reason for a new tool. This got her a new binder, and Snap install tool holder that we mounted on nice formica pad, and new sets of grommet setting tools for the grommets. Also during the binding operation the clutch motor started squealing, and of course we ordered a new Servo motor to replace and update the machine. Was a big job for her. But the main reason we like things like this, is the learning how to do things ourselves. The experience is well worth the time and money saved. Do you agree? Dave-R
I bought a binder which I messed with just like your wife did. I ended up buying the swing away binder from Sailrite and it works awesome.
http://www.sailrite.com/Binder-1-Swing-Bracket#

I replaced my motor with a servo motor as well. Way easier to control.

The best snap tool is the Press-n-snap because you can use it while the cover is on the boat.
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/U...ner/index.html

Use a hot knife to cut the Sunbrella? What do you mean by using a surger. You used a surger for edges?

Definitely learn more after every project. For my next project, I am going to use SolarFix thread which is teflon based. Supposed to outlast the fabric.

Last edited:

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Where do I place my order for my camper enclosure???

That is some seriously impressive work. Much better than most of the shops around here. :thumb:

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah don't be so stingy with her! Someone with those talents shouldn't go to waste and there's some extra money to be made as well.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer
nice job!! need one for my boat,,,dimensions forthcoming,,,:joyous:

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need to make a cockpit cover too. Any pointers? I don't have one to pattern off of.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Very nice. I wish my wife was as handy as yours or you just lived down the street.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I need to make a cockpit cover too. Any pointers? I don't have one to pattern off of.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy the thickest roll of plastic they have and make patterns out of it. Usually only needed for the windshield area. Use blue tape on the windshield followed by double stick masking tape or basting tape on top of that to hold the patterns in place.

Last edited:

Volphin

Lieutenant
Dave, I have a cover that needs replacing. I would rather your wife do it than my local guy... wanna make some cash? :)

jkust

Rear Admiral
This actually makes me wonder how the pro's do it for only a grand. That looks like it took a ton of time to make it look that nice.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
You know you are right about the cost of the custom covers for a grand. We watched Bruce 58's great cover video, and thought we would give it a try. The wife spent quite a few hours trying to figure things out. We used the iboats forum for a lot of boat questions. Our thanks to Bruce, Bondo, All Dodge, Don S, and all the great guys who make this the best boating forum. When we do things ourselves, we learn a lot. If you just buy things, or pay to have it done, what did you learn?
Although I can't get behind my Volvo 5.7 to remove that dang trim sender wire, I will pay some skinny kid with 4 foot arms to do it. Dave-R