Do you plan on boating more next year if gas prices remain low or head even lower?

Do you plan on boating more next year if gas prices remain low or head even lower?

• Yes

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Could be a college term paper subject. It's the 3rd similar topic I have seen today on 3 different boating forums. all three topics were started by a poster with just one post to. Or maybe just a popular topic to post ?

That's why I don't vote in polls like this. Probably some lazy researcher and the next thing is a boating mag or some such will have a big headline "4 out of 5 Dentists choose Turkish Taffy"

BTW - The real boaters must hang out here. The poll says no because we boat as often as we can, weather allowing. Another forum with same poll says yes. So they can't afford a boat, can they? :rolleyes:

QC

Supreme Mariner
I love Turkish Taffy! And I voted maybe :redface:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
My ski boat, fuel hasn't ever been a factor, it just doesn't use enough. However the big boat is a different story. I don't think I would use it more days, I do think I would go farther. The twin big blocks drink the fuel and I do factor in the cost of running an extra 10 miles down the lake.

Yeah miss the big boat for several reasons but not for fuel (and two motors and all the systems to keep working)

As many have said - it is time. I have a very flexible work life but still spend a lot of time doing it including travel which keeps me from the couple hour pop-to-the-lake afternoons during the week, then once home getting caught up on what husbands are supposed to do thru the week.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Weather is the big factor for me, and last summer had the best weekend weather in years. Don't get me wrong- I'd LOVE it if marina fuel was $3.00 or less, but it won't make a difference in how and when I use the boat. Fuel accounts for less than a third of my annual boating expense.

Boatbuyer7

Recruit
I am with nate and shrew. It will not change my days on the water, but will have some impact on my destination choices once on the water. We throw a hook and hang a lot. We can do that close or far, so fuel price has some impact on our habits. I do agree that fuel is not what anyone should be stressing about regarding boating. You are talking less than $20 a weekend for most people if it goes up a buck. With that said, the OP seems to be considering the impact on his particular waterway's crowd factor. Where do you boat?

Alum Creek & Buckeye Lake in central Ohio, these places were crowded already in the previous years with fair share of accidents (excluding that horrible winter this past season). Thinking of heading north to Erie with a trailer for the summer since the boat I'll be taking out is a small 18ft Four Winns

tpenfield

Staff member
I spend about $3-4K on maintenance and routine stuff every year, then another $1,500 on fuel. So if my fuel were cut in 1/2, then it would not make a huge difference in the overall spend, just probably have more beer money or something.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Work and family play more into my boating time than fuel costs. I hope I get more time on the water though.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah miss the big boat for several reasons but not for fuel (and two motors and all the systems to keep working).

I hear you. I debate going to a smaller boat but that would mean giving up my lake. Or going all in and buying a house with a dock.

roffey

Commander
fuel cost hurts my bank account but does not stop me from boating. I keep my tank topped up just so if the mode hits I can jump in and go.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's all about time...when I was young and fuel price was an issue I had a canoe on top of of a Beetle.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Fuel costs are pretty important. The fishing has been so bad, it is hard to justify spending $75 on gas to catch nothing. With any luck, next spring, I can spend $45 to catch nothing. Now that's a bargain.....

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
the amount of distractions-graduations, weddings, household stuff-is the deciding factor for how much i boat. Fuel prices dictate my use of the throttle.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Fuel costs are pretty important. The fishing has been so bad, it is hard to justify spending $75 on gas to catch nothing. With any luck, next spring, I can spend $45 to catch nothing. Now that's a bargain.....

Agreed! Drives down the cost per pound of caught or in our case uncaught fish when the price drops.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
fuel prices wont affect how much boating I do. if I'm low on $$$ I will take the little boat

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Personally, if I stopped going to Starbucks, that would save me more money than the lower gas prices are going to do.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I'm all in for having a $300 a month gas bill rather than the normal $500. My Chevy 2500 also uses fuel to get the boat to the lake and $200 bucks is well $200 bucks! It may influence me to go cruising one day of the weekend and out fishing the next and that would keep the fuel bill at about the same $500.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I hear you. I debate going to a smaller boat but that would mean giving up my lake. Or going all in and buying a house with a dock.

A house on the water would be great....

We bought the Carver (below) for next to nothing just 'cuz it was next to nothing and I had been drinking a bit. After using it we decided to make it our only boat (well besides the little fishing boat I just bought) because we can still do weekends on the water which is all we did with the big boat. Before the big boat we tried a cuddy but that wasn't enough. Our usual weekend run to the cove we spent the weekends at was $100 in fuel for 28 miles round trip. As many have said the cost of fuel isn't the biggest concern but still... Deduct the carrying cost of a moored boat (and the constant worry of a moored boat 2 hours away) and the fuel diff to a single 350 and it just feels better now even though we can afford a big boat and the fuel if we wanted to.

At the end of the day I'm a cheap SOB which I know is incongruous with being a boat owner. I get fuel cheaper now that I can mostly fill up on dry land and I love to just cruise which we do now so our boating time is more enjoyable.

Get the right boat and you can be on any lake at any time.

10414567_10202528727752794_5330348153754324883_n.jpg

10402817_10202528727592790_5393505509021963950_n.jpg

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Fortunately, my boat has always been pretty easy on the pocket book ... this year should make towing it to places easier on the pocket book.