2007 Regal 3060

boogaard

Recruit
I am looking at a 30? 2007 Regal 3060 Windows Express Cruiser with 56 hours on it & has pretty much every thing possible on it. Just looking to know what peoples experiences are with this model of a boat. I am leery at buying something used as every time I do so I end up buying someones problem. Also looking to get peoples ideas on why this boat has basically just sat for the past 7 years. Feedback is much appreciated.

tpenfield

Staff member
The sitting for many years is a concern . . . nothing good happens. Most boats purchased are used. I assume that you will be having a Marine Surveyor go through the boat. that should give you the information that you would be looking for, etc.

boogaard

Recruit
I have never heard of a marine surveyor before & if I had I woudl think it was someone who does marine surveying not boats. So good thing for google. I will defiantly look into having it surveyed. But then again I have never owned a used boat either. Thanks for the info.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
I had a friend go through the same thing, Regal and all. 2 summers ago they bought one similar in size with very low hours on it, I think 70. The motors had been winterized properly and the drives maintained so they haven't really had any issues there. It was also always stored on a lift under a covered dock. The cockpit and cabinet were in fantastic shape.

They had all kinds of small problems with plumbing from the lack of use. Seals were bad, faucets leaked, head wouldn't hold vacuum, things like that. They also fought the A/C and Heat for a while, not sure if it was from the lack of use. Same goes with some generator weirdness. It took them a summer to get all the kinks worked out but it has been a good boat since.

agallant80

Commander
A lot of times these things turn in to floating condos. Like others have said get a survey done.

boogaard

Recruit
Thanks for the reponses everyone. I looked at the '07 windows express the other day. It has been in dry storage since '08. My question is that good or bad that the boat has been sitting since '08. I am planning on having a marine survey done but not sure if its even worth while since the boat has not been used since '08 & was winterized by the same place that is selling it, & the dealer is offering to go through the entire boat. Just looking for thoughts if I shoudl be scared of this boat since it has not been used since '08 & if I shoudl rely on the dealers inspection.

pckeen

Commander
It really depends on the dealer, and your relationship with them. Some dealers really go over their boats, and make sure everything is good. I'm guessing that you are looking at $70-$90 k for this. Personally, with that kind of cash layout, I would be wanting a marine survey.

tpenfield

Staff member
6 years sitting . . . not a good thing. You would want to really go through things as a lot of components, etc may not work after sitting for 6 years. You would need to establish the condition of the engines after sitting for that long.

Any fuel in the boat is probably jelly. So, it would be interesting. How long has this boat been for sale?

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Couple of things. Although I don't know that I would put much weight in the explanation what does the dealer say about why it has such low hours? How was it stored? (inside or out) Are you in a climate where you can take her out for a sea trial? And yes, a reputable dealer will not want to risk that reputation by selling junk. Definitely get her surveyed.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
First, take her out for sea trials. While out on the water check out the function of everything, the head, the radar, the furnace, the wipers, the fridge, the stove, everything. A surveyor will probably check that there is power to the electronics and appliances, but will not check that they function properly. If you still like the boat and decide to make an offer make it subject to the results of a marine survey and mechanical check over.

Yes, the marine survey is worth it, you'll need the survey for insurance purposes. Your survey will state any deficiencies and safety issues, which the insurance company will likely make you correct. It'll also put a value on the boat which will determine how much a total loss payout would be, and how much your premiums will cost. Remember, surveyors are not mechanics, so you'll also need all the machinery checked out. I see nothing wrong with using the dealers mechanical dept to do this, as long as your comfortable with their reputation, and they provide a written report of their findings.

As others have pointed out any fuel onboard will be spoiled, and will need to be replaced. If I was buying her, I'd have all the fluids changed, as well as the belts, hoses etc.

boogaard

Recruit
Thanks for the replies. The boat has been shrink wrapped & sitting outdoors. It is indoors now, the dealer is just a small ma & pa dealer with a good reputation. The current owner downsized to a open bow. The dealership wanted to buy the boat outright but the owner did not want to go that route or else the dealer was trying to low ball. I am having a survey done next week, I am looking forward to seeing what he finds,

Slip Away

Lieutenant
I put money down on it today. The seller agreed to a a survey so we will see what he finds. Now does anyone want to buy a 2011 sundancer 240 comes on a trailer fresh water use only.

​Been 6 days since the above posting, how did the survey come out ?