want advice on buying entry level wake/surf boat

dac120

Recruit
Hey I am looking to learn how to wake surf. What are the top 10 things to look for in buying a boat that won't break the bank? I did find a 2007 Mastercraft hydro swift with low hours but cant seem to find any review/specs on line. Anyone know anything about them? thanks

thumpar

Admiral
Don't use the hours as an indication of condition. I bought my current boat with about 600 hours on it but have all the maintenance records from the dealer going back to 2002. Go on a lake test. You don't get the feel of the boat until you are on it in the water. If you are new to boating have whatever boat you are looking at buying checked out by a dealer. It may cost you a couple hundred but could save you thousands in the long run.

OrangeTJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've never heard of a Mastercraft Hydro Swift. Mastercraft is a very high quality boat builder, though. For surfing, you'll want the deepest drafting, heaviest V-Drive you can find with the most ballast capacity. Centurion is known for their wake surf wake. You may want to go to a wake boat specific forum to learn more about what boats are best for how you want to use it.

oldjeep

Admiral
A hydroswift isn't a mastercraft , just a run of the mill I/O. Happen to have a picture?

OrangeTJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It would be helpful to have some sense of what you're willing to spend on this boat? Wake boats are generally pretty expensive to start with and they stay that way even used. If you're looking to spend $30K or less, you're probably looking at 10 - 15 year old boats. That's not inherently bad, but definitely underscores the need for a good "going over" by somebody knowledgeable.

oldjeep

Admiral
It would be helpful to have some sense of what you're willing to spend on this boat? Wake boats are generally pretty expensive to start with and they stay that way even used. If you're looking to spend $30K or less, you're probably looking at 10 - 15 year old boats. That's not inherently bad, but definitely underscores the need for a good "going over" by somebody knowledgeable.

30K or less would be pretty tough if you want to surf, since you don't find many V drives in that price range and anything old enough to be in that range is going to require some money be spent on ballast.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard.

If it is an I/O DO NOT try to wakesurf behind it. You only wakesurf behind a true inboard.

What thumpar said. wakesurfing behind an I/O is like trying to stop a food-processor with your face when you wipe out

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Many new inboards have special systems to help the surf wake. These are convenient but only show up in the last few years. Most wake surfing requires lots of extra weight in the boat and then the boat being listed to the side that is being surfed on. That is a bit easier with a deeper V in the hull.
You really want a cruise control, like PerfectPass.
You want a lower pitch prop than is stock. That helps maintain speed better in the 10-12 mph range and gets you started better with a heavily loaded boat.
You want board racks to keep everything out of the way as some of your interior space is likely taken up by water filled Fat Sacs.
The addicts use smaller swim platforms that are raised higher than normal to avoid messing with the wake. That's a pain and I don't worry about it.
You must have an inboard, either a D-drive or a V-drive. A V-drive is a bit better for surfing.
You need a short rope. I use a short length off an old ski rope with a small handle but you can get specialty wake surf ropes.
Getting an FAE makes the sport safer and quieter so it is a really valuable addition. That should be a factory option on inboards.

It's lots of fun, you burn lots of fuel, and more people in the boat is extra ballast but it means you'll be pulling more people and burning more fuel.