Looking for Advice/input on potential project boat

wagigkpn

Cadet
So, this is likely a pipe dream but how big of a pipe dream will largely depend on the great interweb's input on this forum. I previously had a 1977 glasply project on this forum which went well.

I have stumbled upon a boat that greatly intrigues me. I was not even searching for a boat as i am not presently in a position to take on another project, however this boat seems to be a physical representation of the boat of my dreams. Thus, if i can get this boat now it will be ready for me when i am ready for a boat which i estimate will be about this time next year.

Here is what i know, This boat is in New Jersey, I live near Seattle. This boat appears to be aluminum and was custom made in the 1950's for a doctor who would take his family water skiing with a 70hp motor on the back of the boat. I do not have measurements or more pictures than what i am posting here but more pictures are on the way. The cuddy has a kitchenette, head, and sleeps.

I have already secured $1500 to both purchase and transport this boat the approximately 2900 miles from its current location. The seller is very reasonable and I am sure will work with me on price...seems like a good guy. Doing some research it appears $1000-$1500 is not even ball park on shipping costs so this dream appears dead before it can even get off the ground...However

I wanted to post hear and see what seasoned boaters such as yourselves think of this boat and if you see value here that would warrant taking more risk and securing additional funds to get this boat.

I have no fear of limits of my mechanical abilities to do what is necessary to restore this boat. I already plan on new transom, floor, and pretty much everything else. I will purchase an outboard locally when i get to that point. I can fix anything, including electrical and whatever i cannot do, I will learn.

This boat will be my family boat for decades. I have a 1yr old with another on the way. We will go fishing on Puget sound and tubing on local lakes.throw in a few trips to the san juans and this boat can do everything i want in one boat.

So, set me straight...If i buy this boat for $2-$500 is it worth the cost to transport to Seattle from New Jersey?
6UwviTQ.jpg avm2d7r.jpg XqqkNXy.jpg

Attachments

• 6UwviTQ.jpg
    6UwviTQ.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 0

robert graham

Admiral
From New Jersey to Seattle, Then start on the project?....Wow!...that's an ambitious project!......Can't find a project boat maybe a little closer to home?....Surely there's some suitable/similar boats closer to Seattle?....Good Luck to you on this!....

wagigkpn

Cadet
From New Jersey to Seattle, Then start on the project?....Wow!...that's an ambitious project!......Can't find a project boat maybe a little closer to home?....Surely there's some suitable/similar boats closer to Seattle?....Good Luck to you on this!....

Nope, There are zero boats like this in Puget Sound. At least i have never seen one and I have been around the water my whole life. This would be a head turner for sure.

robert graham

Admiral
Well, if you've got the time, talent, money and desire, then go for it....it is a very good-looking boat and it would be a satisfying project for the right guy!.....If you do it, please send us photos showing your progress....Good Luck!...

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you can get it to NE Ohio, I can store it for you until you get your bearings. That is a WAY cool boat man, and one heck of a find!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
When I was 18 a very similar boat came up and I wanted it. It had an inboard engine and was basically complete. Actually, it was FREE, all I had to do was pay the minimal storage fees. My Grandpa and Dad came to look at it and advised me against it. Someone else took it and within 6 months had it in the water running and boy was it a beautiful classic.

Ah, but for hindsight.

I would say go for it, but be sure to have a cash budget that is at least 4 times what you expect to have to invest.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
After looking at the pics you posted I would have to say that boat is NOT aluminum. There are none of the structural details normally found in that era of aluminum boat construction. If you're still interested then stock up on tyvek suits and respirator filters.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
After looking at the pics you posted I would have to say that boat is NOT aluminum. There are none of the structural details normally found in that era of aluminum boat construction. If you're still interested then stock up on tyvek suits and respirator filters.

^^^^^This^^^^^

It might be a good project if it was free and next door to you,......

Figure 2 to 3 bucks a mile for a step-deck to bring it out to you,.........

WAY to much money in my opinion,............

pckeen

Commander
I agree - I would have guessed that was a fiberglass boat.

That is a unique boat given that it was custom made - I've been looking online for a tin restoration project for a couple of years, and have not seen one like this - so my guess is it will be tough to find anything like this locally. It reminds me of the Beatles' yellow submarine. So is it worth the transportation - if you have your heart set on that boat, then sure. Will it be resellable for $2500 once transported? Probably not. Is it worth it ? Only you can answer that.

Having said that......

I would be very hesitant to purchase this as a restoration project without being able to see it in advance. From the looks of it, it will be completely rotten, which means you are paying for a fiberglass hull that requires all stringers, transom, flooring replaced. If it really is aluminum, then it's really unique as it doesn't have any of the hallmarks of an aluminum boat. I can't tell from those pictures whether the hull is in good shape, or whether there are so many problems with it that it will make the restoration pointless. It certainly isn't pretty.

If you are looking for an aluminum cuddy cabin boat, then I wouldn't buy this one. I would take a look at old lonestar cruisemasters, starcraft islanders, starcraft chieftains and others. They may give you the flavor you are looking for. Try the last 10 pages of this thread: Starcrarafts for sale on craigslist and ebay. There are lots on there.

Let us know what you decide! I would love to see that restored.

rotozuk

Seaman Apprentice
That is an interesting hull shape. I'd guess it would not be a good ride in rough waters. Looks to be 25 feet long.. give or take. It appears to be fiberglass construction in the pictures. Maybe there is an iboats member in the area that can check it out for you??

Lots of work there, and the trailer may be dead. Might be worth a quick flight out to see it, and if you make a deal, see if you can fix up the trailer while there, and then head home. See if you can get a good bid on a site like ushipit.com (or whatever that site is) sometimes you can get a good deal especially with the lower fuel prices right now.

Would love to follow a rebuild of it though. :) I can see a pretty boat under all the muck and rot. :)

-Wayne

UncleWillie

Captain
Check out USHIP.COM
Independent truckers bid against each other for the lowest price they will deliver the goods.
You can set a max price and see if anyone with the right equipment would be willing to do the job.
If you are very open in the delivery schedule you just might find someone willing to do it when they get in the area and can find something else going the same direction.

If the seller could get the trailer road worthy, that would help immensely.

Last edited:

wagigkpn

Cadet
Thanks for all the input. If it is fiberglass I wouldn't touch it. I am waiting on more info regarding that.

on a different front, I made some inquires about shipping and it seems $2500 is the cheapest I could expect which puts it out of my price range.

thanks for the advice on other cuddy aluminum boats. I once looked at a star craft islander. Interesting boats.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
......however this boat seems to be a physical representation of the boat of my dreams.....

The above statement can not be combined with any limits on budget. This is just something I've learned first hand.

However, that is one cool *** boat. I can see her with paint that looks like wood grain or a "woody" style side panel????? If you have the time and money (I agree with the 4X multiplier of planned cost to actual stated above) and it is the boat of your dreams---well---you only go around once!

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
I really don't think we can answer your questions about value and if it's worth it. Is it worth it to you is the question.

From a pure money standpoint I can't imagine you would ever get your money back after the shipping, parts and labor you'll have to put in it to (but I don't think that's what you're asking).

On a side note: you said you have a 1 year old and another on the way, so next year when you want to start this project you'll have a two year old and new born...... My kids are 4 and 7 and I have a fulltime job. There is no way I'd have time to work on a boat restoration unless I just hid out in the garage and never saw them.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
A lot of interesting opinions posted here already. The obvious opinion is yours. If this IS your dream boat, that goes a long way to your opinion. My only question is, have you ever rebuilt any type boat up to now? It really is quite different then refurbishing an old car or truck. Not knowing the length size or width or even the approximate weight, your could look into a U-Haul rental to take it home. But those are only answers that you have to decide. I can see both sides of this possible project. In one hand you seem to really like the boat. But it will take a lot of intricate work to refurbish back to its glory days. But on the other hand if you do decide to pass on it, and nobody would blame you either, you could end up think forever on, why you didn't take the chance of a life time...so to speak! So nobody can make such personal decisions for you. Money and how much you really like it is your opinion that only matters! With all that stated, IF you do go for it, please please post your progress on this project with tons of picture if that is what you decide...

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer
That is a really cool looking boat!!! But,I'm thinking-if that boat were aluminum,the owner would have sold it to a scrap yard long before now.