Minn Kota Deckhand Anchor Winch vs. Talon or Power Pole

crashpro

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking for an efficient, cost effective way of holding my bass boat in light wind/current conditions. I've looked at the Talon and Power Poles. They are just too expensive and are limited by water depth. I was wondering if a Minn Kota Deckhand 40 would work. It could easily be mounted on the stern and can be deployed with a bow-mounted remote. It would at least have a chance of holding the boat in water in excess of 12' deep. Entire setup can be purchased for less than $400. I'm not at all interested in the 8-10' poles that are pushed through gunnel mounted loop brackets and stuck into the bottom. Anchor systems on GPS iPilot trolling motors only hold the boat in a general area within 5-6 feet of where the system is activated. Your thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
With the Minn Kota Deckhand 40 you will be swinging on the anchor line even in light winds unless you put one out for and aft. The iPilot would do better than 1 anchor.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah as said above, 12' of water with a 3:1 scope has 36' of rode out, there will be a lot of swinging back and forth similar to an ipilot anchor.

I've used those winch anchors before and have not been impressed with them.

crashpro

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks folks for the responses. I've decided to go with the Minn Kota Ulterra. Has a great all-around package that seems to be rounded enough to make it worth the money.