trolling motor bow or stern

siberbro

Cadet
I am new to the boat ownership world and am redoing the floor in my 1972 Sears bass boat following the good advise in the repair forums, THANKS. I would like some opinions as to the placement of my trolling motor. I have a 15HP Johnson and a 40# Minn-Kota trolling motor. I will be fishing by myself in 13 months when social security kicks in and would like to add the trolling motor to the stern. The control head is reversible so it can be bow or stern mounted. comments appreciated.

dozerII

Admiral
Mounting on the bow is makes controlling the boat in even a light wind much easier. the boat follows the trolling motor into the wind instead of trying to push it, when pushing you are always trying to catch up to the direction the bow is swinging.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
In short, a low thrust engine has to lead not push. A TM is a low thrust engine figuratively speaking. If you ever ran one on the stern you know what I am talking about in fighting wind or current. I realize that bow mounts on certain boats present problems but what's the point in having something that is easily mounted if it doesn't work.

Mark

siberbro

Cadet
Thanks, your point about following the trolling motor instead of pushing the boat makes a lot of sense.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I prefer a transom mount trolling motor for river fishing and back trolling on lakes,.......

I only use a bow mount for steering while the kicker provides thrust for forward trolling,........

It all depends on how one fishes,....

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yep...pros and cons for both....if you are sitting in the back how are you going to steer from the front? If you have a remote steer then by all means go for the bow, but if you are required to sit in front to steer then another issue comes in play as all your weight in the front makes for a wet day if there is any chop. Yes front is better for steering but rear can be more convenient with out a remote steer, but as said steering may be much more difficult.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I prefer a transom mount trolling motor for river fishing and back trolling on lakes,.......

I only use a bow mount for steering while the kicker provides thrust for forward trolling,........

It all depends on how one fishes,....

Totally agree on seeing videos of folks back trolling. We don't do it down here so I forgot about that. However, even though it's transom mounted, in the process of back trolling, it is leading the boat, not pushing and that's the point that needs to be considered.

They make remotely controlled TMs whereby you can sit anywhere in the boat and control it. I had a Minnkota back in '89 that would do it.

Mark