how long to boat from toledo ohio to chicago illinois?

Yes i m a newbie:) lol. But I'm wondering about this trip on a custom boat ( formerly 27' rinker).

Any idea?

Thank you

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
That size boat is better trailered in 5 hours.by water about ten days depending on how hard you run and whether. You have to travel around Michigan.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Welcome to iboats!

Sounds like a sizable undertaking. Honestly, you should be able to tell US how long you expect it to take. If you haven't plotted your course, planned your refueling stops based on the boat's consumption and the '1/3 rule'; and determined where you'll make your overnight stays,.. you may not be ready for this. You should be able to guesstimate the trip using your nautical charts, even before you do your detailed float plan.

What's your boating experience, and (because I'm curious) what makes this a custom boat?

My .02

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
My estimate is for 750 miles total distance. Fuel use would be ~600 gallons at $4.50 per gallon. Assuming weather permits running at 25 mph for four hours per day, you could make the trip in ~8 days. For that kind of money you can afford to buy a trailer or hire a hauling company to deliver your boat. Not as much fun/risk, but gets the job done in fraction of the time.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

im thinking of a can you do it vs a should you do it question. Im all for long boat trips, however I would tow it that distance vs paying for fuel.

what makes your boat custom?

Sorry guys.

I should have said its customized not custom :)

Its got a raised rear floor. "L" seat goes front to back all on same level....tons of cosmetic customs and lots for creature comforts. Wrapped in graphics..its definitely one of a kind :) swapped 5.7 for 454 and twin props.

Anyway, the reason I asked is we want to make a vacation out of it... Stop north of lake st Claire on the bay..then on to harbor springs...charlevoix and on down.

I have moderate experience. But I know boats. I build performance one off pontoon / tritoons and do marine restorations..

We wanted to do the loop so that's why I was asking.

Thank you all

Last edited:

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, if you are thinking of this as a trial run or first segment of the great loop trip, I understand. The adventure is a dream of many of us. I recommend doing some research and deciding what stops you wish to explore. I recommend checking with some yachat clubs and see which cater to loopers. Some boaters will be happy to help with tuning your crew to town for groceries and boat parts. Not just sell you fuel and stick their nose at you. There is a great lakes yachting association as we as the Illinois river bottom boating association.They can be some great friends to become associated with.