Bow mount trolling motor on cuddy cabin boat?

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Just a quick update. I pulled the trigger on an Ulterra 60" 80# last night, the first one that I found in stock. Man, this thing cost me WAY more than my boat, trailer, and both gas engines combined!

I had been wavering on whether or not I really needed auto deploy, but then I saw this and thought about all the solo launching/retrieving that I do:

I'll post up some pics when I get it rigged in a couple of weeks. Saw a little open water on the way home from work today...we're getting close to boat season! Thanks again for the help, guys. Cheers.

dozerII

Admiral
Wow that's quite the trolling motor, look forward to seeing it all mounted.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Dozer, with limited bow access on my boat I figured it was worth it. On an open bow, I'd have gone with a Terrova to save $500. It's a huge investment after you add a couple of group 29's, 3 bank charger and assorted little stuff, but it will make solo fishing and launching way more relaxing. This hobby has a way of always needing a little more $$!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Apparently MinnKota was having some trouble outfitting all the pro tourney boats, and finally released these motors for sale to the public.

I may need one myself, looking at a ling Chief this weekend.

Good luck, keep us updated.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Good luck with the Chief, Roscoe. They make a great trolling platform with tons of dry storage. I'll post some install pics when I get it set up.

dozerII

Admiral
I think I have watched that Ulterra commercial 6 times time now, I think there was more thought into the production of the ad than a lot of prime time shows on the tube right now.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I think I have watched that Ulterra commercial 6 times time now, I think there was more thought into the production of the ad than a lot of prime time shows on the tube right now.

Yeah, it's pretty brilliant marketing. I do have to say that I'd never power-launch my boat like that, though. One wrong move and it's gonna be a bad day!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
You'll love that TM CW, they're so quiet and no exhaust fumes! No gasoline to buy or mix.

Did I mention they're quiet and don't have any exhaust fumes?

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Jig, I will be running the four stroke kicker 99% of the time while trolling to provide most of the thrust, but I can barely hear or smell that old Honda. The TM will be my autopilot/anchor/launching aid. And I suppose it might be able to get me home with a double engine failure :eek: Seriously, though, this thing is probably worth it just for the auto deploy spot lock/anchor feature...but it does lots more.

I'm really looking forward to being able to focus on fishing more than steering in wind! Now if only I can figure out when UPS can get my signature.