Bow mount trolling motor on cuddy cabin boat?

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Hey all. I know there's an electronics sub that includes trolling motors, but this isn't an electrical question. Also, apologies for this wall of text. You can skip to the bottom for the condensed version :blah:

Here goes: I have an 18' aluminum cuddy ('74 Starcraft Chieftain), and it's almost exclusively a cold water lake fishing boat, i.e. slow trolling for salmon, 2.3-2.8 mph. I also fish by myself 90% of the time for various reasons, so an autopilot system would make my hobby a whole lot more enjoyable. I've done a lot of research on the many autopilots out there, and almost all of them are out of my league financially. No way am I putting hydraulic steering on a 40 year old boat with 30 year old power. Raymarine just discontinued its cable steer system, too. So that basically leaves me with the options of a very expensive kicker mounted auto pilot (I do have a 7.5 Honda kicker), or the Minn Kota i pilot bow mount. The bow mount is attractive for a lot of reasons: slightly less expensive even with the batteries, better boat control by virtue of it steering the bow and not trying to push the stern into wind, full-function remote, spot-lock anchor feature, integrated GPS, quiet operation, good resale value, and excellent customer reviews.

The idea is to use the kicker to get the boat almost to trolling speed, lock it straight, then engage the i-pilot to fine tune speed and steer. I've been reading that this is common practice in the midwestern lake regions, including Erie, which is pretty similar to the conditions on Lake Champlain.

My dilemma: will it fit?

Here's a pic of my boat's bow (not the best photo but you can get an idea of the dimensions):

fuxegci.jpg

Obviously, the issue would be stowing it. I've never operated an electric trolling motor, so I don't know how they stow. Can you leave a section of the prop end of the shaft hanging over the bracket? Does it look like it would fit so that the head would clear the front side of the cabin? It would be a 60" shaft with the motor head laying next to the cabin. Can they stow at a horizontal angle, over the cabin? I do realize that I'll have to relocate my navigation lights...probably LED side lights moved aft. There's also a hatch up there for bow access.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has done it or if anyone thinks it can be done.

I tend to overthink these things, especially when there's real money involved, so thanks for reading this and extra special thanks if you have any advice! There's just not much info out there specific to my questions.

TL;DR: can I put a trolling motor on a boat with a small bow area and cabin?

Cheers!

Tnstratofam

Commander
I think the i-pilot system would work good for your setup. I've seen them on cuddy cabins before. I would think with the nav features on the i-pilot would be a big plus for big water fishing.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Joe, I do have a SS connecting rod to the kicker. So, yes, I can steer the kicker from the helm, but in any wind I'm running to the wheel while trying to set lines, boat fish, etc. An autopilot keeps you on GPS waypoints or headings so you have time to pay attention to fishing while keeping an eye out for other boats. When boating/releasing a fish, I'm often within 50' of steep cliffs, so I can kill the kicker and engage the spot lock anchor with one button. And the i-pilot allows you to fine tune trolling speed from the remote dongle.

Last edited:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I think the i-pilot system would work good for your setup. I've seen them on cuddy cabins before. I would think with the nav features on the i-pilot would be a big plus for big water fishing.

Thanks! I've never seen one. I know they work very well, just trying to avoid a rigging nightmare. Pretty good chance I'll be running one this spring.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Here is the only bow mount I would want on a cuddy,.........

With the auto deploy and stow you shouldn't have to go up front to deal with anything,...

It's new, But friends that have tested it say it's great,..........

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Wow, Teamster, that is really cool. It's a bit above my budget, but that feature is probably worth it. Thanks! The gears are turning (that's what the electrical fire smell is!)

Tnstratofam

Commander
Here is the only bow mount I would want on a cuddy,.........

With the auto deploy and stow you shouldn't have to go up front to deal with anything,...

It's new, But friends that have tested it say it's great,..........

That is a nice setup. A little pricey, but has all the featured one would need. Chem you should try to score one by saying you'll use it for real world testing then you could report back to minkota.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
That is a nice setup. A little pricey, but has all the featured one would need. Chem you should try to score one by saying you'll use it for real world testing then you could report back to minkota.

I try not to do this for boating purchases, but my old friend the Visa card could come into play for one of these. The big selling point for me is that the terrova motors and I pilots are time tested. If that power deploy/stow works they'll sell a lot of these. Pretty slick!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Beautiful boat.

Do not post this question in the Starcraft forum, as they will tell you that a bow mount can't be done, as it will ruin the looks of the boat. :)

It will work fine,
It will mount on an angle, along the side of the bow.

How much distance do you have from the bow to the windshield, along the edge?
That will be the determining factor.

Many guys are using the kicker/ i-pilot combo. With auto-deploy, it should be great.
Go to the Walleye Central fishing site and post the question there if you like.

I would suggest getting the 24 volt 80# thrust model as a minimum, because you boat may not be heavy, but it catches a lot of wind, and the 24 volt will give you extended time on the water.

I'm thinking that the remote control is an added safety feature as well.
If you fall overboard, you could steer the boat back to you.

I would add a plywood backing plate below deck, to reinforce the bow. 2 batteries, a case, a battery switch, and a small onboard charger, and you'll be cruiin in style and the envy of the fish cleaning house.

Let us know how it works out.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Beautiful boat.

Do not post this question in the Starcraft forum, as they will tell you that a bow mount can't be done, as it will ruin the looks of the boat. :)

It will work fine,
It will mount on an angle, along the side of the bow.

How much distance do you have from the bow to the windshield, along the edge?
That will be the determining factor.

Many guys are using the kicker/ i-pilot combo. With auto-deploy, it should be great.
Go to the Walleye Central fishing site and post the question there if you like.

I would suggest getting the 24 volt 80# thrust model as a minimum, because you boat may not be heavy, but it catches a lot of wind, and the 24 volt will give you extended time on the water.

I'm thinking that the remote control is an added safety feature as well.
If you fall overboard, you could steer the boat back to you.

I would add a plywood backing plate below deck, to reinforce the bow. 2 batteries, a case, a battery switch, and a small onboard charger, and you'll be cruiin in style and the envy of the fish cleaning house.

Let us know how it works out.

Roscoe, great post, thanks!

I just went out and did some more measuring. I'm actually thinking that the 54" will work no problem, even in 2'ers, though the prop will pop out once in a while in those seas. It should extend about a foot below the keel. The 54" will also just clear the lower windshield at an angle from the bow.

On the safety factor, I had never even considered that, but that is an excellent point. I would likely have the remote around my neck all the time. :thumb:

Good advice on the backing plate, too. 24v 80# is what I had in mind as well.

I'm glad I posted this here. Lots of great feedback and advice, as always. Many thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Chem - You have to remember WE love to spend YOUR money. LOL

Do you think you can mount it to clear the hatch? Do you use the hatch much?

Please don't do an actual safety test - Stay in the boat! :smile:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Chem - You have to remember WE love to spend YOUR money. LOL

Do you think you can mount it to clear the hatch? Do you use the hatch much?

Please don't do an actual safety test - Stay in the boat! :smile:

Ha, yeah, the internet has shown me many new things to spend my money on!

I think it will clear the hatch, which still leaves the option of a manually deployed (and MUCH cheaper) model. But man, that thing is cool. Unfortunately, it only comes in a 45" or 60" shaft...too short and slightly too long. I may go with the 70# 54" powerdrive v2. Plenty of time to save my pennies and think about it.

I do worry about going overboard when I'm solo. That's scary (and usually deadly) stuff if the boat's in gear during the off-season.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you clean all the change out of the sofa for the Drone* of Trolling Motors, the long shaft length won't matter much except for stowing. It has the power trim to raise and lower the depth of the prop. Longer might work out better in rougher waters.

*Fish from the comfort of your living room sofa with the optional Long Range Remote and Camera system. A Minn Kota exclusive, coming soon.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I finally found a similar boat with the setup I want. This is a 19' C-Dory with a 54" on the bow. He apparently loves it, too. Those are nice sleds.

IQe1zMD.jpg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You could go with the longer shaft, and mount the unit at more of an angle, with the head hanging of the edge, along side the cabin.
Even if it sticks over the side a bit, it should still work fine.

I say go for it.
You are likely to have only 1 chance at this.