Gas fumes in stern area

luva63

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK,I'm stumped. I covered up my Aristocraft 19 for the winter to keep it from getting so dirty setting in the basement(burn wood for heat). Well,I keep getting fumes as if it was a gas can with the lid off. I've checked everything that I can think of, pulled the sending unit and access cover,put gas resistant gasket sealer on the rubber gaskets of them both. Had a 1/2 tank of non-ethanol premium with stabil mixed in. Today I removed 99% of the gas. What am I missing?? This is my first I/O,so I'm still learning. Here's some pics. If anyone sees something I need to do, any help appreciated.

Attachments

• photo212589.jpg
    photo212589.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212590.jpg
    photo212590.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212591.jpg
    photo212591.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212592.jpg
    photo212592.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212593.jpg
    photo212593.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212594.jpg
    photo212594.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212595.jpg
    photo212595.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
The fumes your smelling is normal, but burning wood in the basement can be a dangerous issue IMO. As the area heats up fuel in the tank expands and fumes come out the tank vent. The vent is unlike the one on a car. A cars tank vents to a canister which allows for expansion, the boats tank vents to the atmosphere. The vent line is the smaller red line. I would not keep a boat in a basement where a wood burner is.

Last edited:

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I agree with not storing the boat in the basement where you burn wood....lots of potential for disaster. I keep mine in the garage, but had to pull the cover off the back corners to keep all the fumes from getting trapped underneath. I figure when the garage doors open that vents the garage well.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The fuel tank is naturally vented to the atmosphere. If the basement is fairly well sealed, you may smell the normal gas fumes. I do not think that is a good situation. Since you have easy access to the tank vent, is there a way to ventilate it outside? If you still have fumes after that, you have additional leaks in the fuel system. How about taking the tank out of the boat and stick it on the garage or outside? That would be best.

Bondo

Staff member
OK,I'm stumped. I covered up my Aristocraft 19 for the winter to keep it from getting so dirty setting in the basement(burn wood for heat). Well,I keep getting fumes as if it was a gas can with the lid off. I've checked everything that I can think of, pulled the sending unit and access cover,put gas resistant gasket sealer on the rubber gaskets of them both. Had a 1/2 tank of non-ethanol premium with stabil mixed in. Today I removed 99% of the gas. What am I missing?? This is my first I/O,so I'm still learning. Here's some pics. If anyone sees something I need to do, any help appreciated.

Ayuh,.... Use yer nose, 'n hunt down, Exactly where the fumes are comin' from,....

Did the tank leak,..?? is there gas in the bilge,..??

luva63

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks to all for your concern. I removed the gas from the tank. The boat sets 25' from the woodstove. The basement is 28'x 75' so there should be enough room for the fumes to dissipate.I've had trucks,tractors and other gas burners in the basement for 28 years so far with no problem. IMHO, as long as the fumes don't get concentrated close to the wood stove as there's no way they can, I'll be alright. The rubber gaskets on the sender and the access plate were wet with gas to the outside edge of the gasket when I took them off, so I put the gas resistant gasket sealer on them. I'll see if that helps. So far, removing the gas and doing this has toned the smell down significantly.

luva63

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ayuh,.... Use yer nose, 'n hunt down, Exactly where the fumes are comin' from,....

Did the tank leak,..?? is there gas in the bilge,..??

No tank leak in bilge. Just put in new tank last summer. Seemed to be coming from the top of tank around sender and access plate.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Clean up the sender plate, fuel tank opening and gasket with some solvent to get any gas and oil off. Put a bead of silicone on both sides of the sender gasket, and then reinstall the sender, to seal it up. After it cures, the gasoline will have no effect on it.

luva63

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Clean up the sender plate, fuel tank opening and gasket with some solvent to get any gas and oil off. Put a bead of silicone on both sides of the sender gasket, and then reinstall the sender, to seal it up. After it cures, the gasoline will have no effect on it.

Yeah,I used my trusty lacquer thinner to clean the sender plate/access plate,top of tank and rubber gaskets . I believe that took care of the problem. Thanks

UncleWillie

Captain

Silicon based sealants are not recommended for use in contact with Gasoline.

From the Permatex Q&A Page...
Can I use the Permatex[SUP]®[/SUP] Ultra Blue[SUP]®[/SUP] RTV to seal a gas gauge-sending unit to a gas tank?
No, Ultra Blue[SUP]®[/SUP] is a silicone-based product, that will offer a good seal, and has good resistance to oil and coolant, however, silicones are not recommended for use in a gasoline environment. The gasoline will attack the product. Permatex[SUP]®[/SUP] offers the solvent based Form-A-Gasket[SUP]®[/SUP] products or MotoSeal[SUP]®[/SUP] #29132 that are designed for applications in a gasoline environment.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I used household silicone caulk. So far it has only lasted 5 years, but it is still going strong

I found that permatex #2 was readily dissolved by gasoline. I expect permatex #3 would also be dissolved by gas. Perhaps Permatex #1 is gas resistant?

luva63

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Whew, this is what I used. Seems to work well.

Attachments

• photo212632.jpg
    photo212632.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Permatex #1 used to be advertised as fast setting, hard drying. It was used on crankcases of older OMC Outboards. I would think that would make it fuel-proof. However, I was always afraid it would crack, if applied on a flexible surface, like your gasket.