fishing boat?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Morning folks. Been thinking. (insert wife cringe here)

Love to fish. note I said fish not catch; that is the bonus. I work from home if not travelling so since I've had an I/O for so long now I've missed out on many times when a nice day presents itself and any excuse to pop on to the water for a couple hours. In MO we really never got those nice days but here in TN we do.

I've got the 15 hp 4 stroke kicker for the Carver so why not buy a small fishing boat? Neighbor will let me keep in the barn. I've got Woods, Normandy and Tim's Ford all withing 20-45 minutes form the house (driveway to parked and on the water)

Nothing here on iboats.so one to craigslist. Since I don't need a motor that keeps the selection under $400 or so, with trailer. Really not interested in having two small motors. I've got enough spark plugs in my family.

So, lots of these 14' or so john/v hulls come with a 5-10 hp and most do not have a plate to tell me what max is. Being a 4 stroke it is a bit heavier than probably was around when these were built. Any rule of thumb for knowing if it would handle the motor?

Here are some prospects:

http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/4776246772.html

00505_dJD6LKnTIFa_600x450.jpg

http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/4767375112.html

01111_6YIaWonJYfK_600x450.jpg

http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/4763510762.html

This one has motor and no price but like the hull

00k0k_1htYAgeQniG_600x450.jpg

http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/4729770013.html

00707_B2pxiU2xdO_600x450.jpg

http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/4737505003.html

never had a wood boat before - what looks scary on this one? I like the rise at the bow, but flat bottom. Thinking wood (heavier) would work with the 15 hp?

00W0W_f15gNBtyjH2_600x450.jpg

shrew

Lieutenant
You can calculate the approx. Max HP for any boat with the following calculation:

HP = Max Horse Power
L = Length
W = Width @ Transom

Multiple L x W, then take the Result and use the chart below to determine Max HP for the vessel.

RESULT MAX HP
0 - 35 3
36 - 39 5
40 - 42 7
43 - 45 10
46 - 52 15

If length x width is greater than 52, use this formula: ((L x W) x 2) - 90

Rounded up to the next multiple of 5.

If the transom is less than 20" high OR the motor is tiller steered, use this formula instead:

((L x W) x .8) - 25

Rounded up to the next multiple of 5.

EXAMPLE:
L = 12 feet
W = 4 feet
Tiller Steer

((12 x 4) x .8) - 25 = 13.4 (rounded up, that is Max. of 15 HP).

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
wow that there is a crap ton of math.

good news, it is a tiller so only one, relatively easy, formula. Thanks.

southkogs

Staff member
I like that Aquaswan hull in M'boro for $375. A new set of oars and a 9HP tiller and that little mug might do VERY nicely. I'm not crazy about the flat bottom boats unless yer' movin' real slow in the shallows.

First posting was deleted. I'm assuming that mighta' been the one in Gallatin?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I like that Aquaswan hull in M'boro for $375. A new set of oars and a 9HP tiller and that little mug might do VERY nicely. I'm not crazy about the flat bottom boats unless yer' movin' real slow in the shallows.

First posting was deleted. I'm assuming that mighta' been the one in Gallatin?

yeah like that one too for the price it's almost worth it for the trailer but also appears to have a but on cleanup done. And hope the 15 would work on it.

The Gallatin is the wood boat.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I'm probably headed to Jackson MS next week so that puts me in range for Bham, Meridian and Jackson CL too.

I love my job, I can search soooo much CL.

jbcurt00

Staff member
So far the AquaSwan looks to check the most boxes the best. The unpriced semiV w 5hp motor is a distant 2nd.

You find any boats you really like w a Gale or Buccaneer OB you dont want, just let me know.

If ya want to test drive the dockbuster 60hp on one, just let me know ;)

Happy turkey day tomorrow.

BTW traveling for work and a smart phone CL search app is how I got where i am...... for good or bad.. :)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Gale didn't make a 45, 58-60 was a 35, 61-63 a 40.
I like the Alumacraft good Length and width can aid planing with a load.
I'm pretty sure there is an Alumacraft club(S).
The Alumacraft has a graceful shape of the old wood boats and I'm betting it is stronger
than the other aluminum candidates.
As you may know the Jons ride awful and can handle strangely if pushed to fast.
The first one looks small and when a boat looks small on the trailer it is surely small!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
honeslty never been in a jon on any water other than a farm pond but I would have to agree that it would pound you like a bad tri hull

jbcurt00

Staff member
oh just remembered I have a long shaft. What are the ramifications?

It'll be deeper in the water if you put it on a short shaft transom so shallow running can be hazardous, same for launching it w the OB down rather then tilted up.

It'll run slightly slower then the same weight & hp motor in a short shaft version.

If you buy a used boat & don't replace the transom, if it's got any issues, the additional torque arm length of the long shaft will cause more problems then a short shaft of the same weight & hp would.....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ok those I can deal with. Haven't done small boats since my first as a kid - 12' Gamefisher with a 15 Rude and I do remember it was a short shaft because I put it on a home made 8' hydroplane and had trouble with that set up and at the time (1983ish) looked into getting a long shaft extension kit.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/boa/4757430481.html

14' for $200 bucks, comes with a 25 Johnson not stated if running plus a trolling motor.

00404_hnf2kJorgVo_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Joe, you can never have too high of a cylinder count. At one time between lawn and guardan equipment, the 3 project vehicles, and the 5 vehicles for the family I had 78 cylinders to maintain. get a short-shaft for your new fishing rig and go fishing. with a bit of creative work, you can even make a rack to toss it on top of your Cummins powered dodge and take two boats wtih you on a trip.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Does the $200 knoxville boat come w the trailer?

You know its a glass boat though, right? Heavier & i wouldnt want to load/unload out of a pickup bed....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Wow I've only been low 50's at my worst.....

Jb doesn't say but assuming yeah no go without it.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Got a buddy from another forum going to put eyes on the glass one early next week if all goes well. He's in law enforcement so he has a pretty jacked up schedule.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Know anybody in the Cincinnati area?
Bare hull

Project for sure :eek:

Yeah, might be a bit larger then you were thinking :watermelon:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah a tad too big. I actually did see n 18' project n one of the cities I was searching that looked easy and cheap - wasn't a starcraft so didn't put on that thread,

besides need to watch out, I just got past this:

DoWhateverYouWant-57931.jpg

Last edited: