1970 trisonic trihull which does not exist.

circeseye

Cadet
ok fellow boaters this has stumped me since i got this beast. its an 18ft and not your everyday run of the mill trihull. its almost twice the depth of any other trihull ive ever seen. an open bow. has a chevy straight 6 with a merc outdrive. it say by roy rogers. (as in the actor). this is the only pic i can find. i will take more when i get the chance. 2011-04-14 18.20.42.jpg it kind of gives you an idea of how tall it is. that is just the lower half. also trisonic did not make a trihull yet. yet here is one.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Sorry, different Roy Rogers. This Roy Rogers was the founder of Mark Twain boats, had a hand in Tom Sawyer boats, and also founded Tri-Sonic boats, all located around The Missouri area. He sold his tri-hull design and molds to Pack St. Clair of Cobalt fame, where they were seemingly splashed by almost everyone in the industry

circeseye

Cadet
finally someone with info i didnt know. :). bu still this boat i have is such a damn mystery.

Last edited:

Twidget

Commander
I dont have any info on the boat. I used to work with a guy that had one. That was one deep boat. It came to an untimely end when their garage caught fire.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
What's the mystery, or what's troubling you about it? There are probably a couple hundred boat manufacturers who've gone in and out of business in the 40 years since your boat was built. I've heard of Mark Twain boats, which I THINK were fairly high end back in the day. You have a GM straight six and older (pre-Alpha) Mercruiser outdrive. That's a good thing- plenty of those still around.

What else do you want to know?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
My first adult boat (living in MO) in 1888 was a 66 mark Twain . Know of Tom sawyer but never hearn of trisonic.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
I had a trydine by west wind and i belvie they only made 2 boats, I call them pop up toaster boats

circeseye

Cadet
well the mystery was i couldnt find anything at all on the web about this boat. i had never seen such a deep trihull before. and was have been trying to find out what purpose it could have been for such a deep hull. (ocean use?) i mean come on wouldnt any of you want to know what the hell you have if youve never seen one before lol :D
bruceb58, holy crap that boat has the same everything. dash, steering wheel, glovebox set up. everything. was was its length? i can tell its smaller then mine.

southkogs

Staff member
A deeper tri-hull is probably more of a "cathedral" hull - or a fancy way of saying they made the center hull/sponson a deeper V. My Silverline is like that (actually real similar hull to the Mark Twains I've seen). In my case, the deeper hull actually lessens the characteristic "bashing" a tri-hull does as it goes through waves like a rhino.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
So you mean us deep V guys don't bash it as bad or do you mean it rides more like a deep V?

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I just spent the last 20 minutes explaining my experience with the badge and this !@#$%^^&*() new software site dumped it when I selected preview. No auto save no nothing !!@@#$%^&*&*(().

Take a picture of the bow (hull shot) and I'll tell you if it will bash you to death. The shorter Sonics would, the larger, 19' in particular were a Texas large lake dream.

Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, different Roy Rogers. This Roy Rogers was the founder of Mark Twain boats, had a hand in Tom Sawyer boats, and also founded Tri-Sonic boats, all located around The Missouri area. He sold his tri-hull design and molds to Pack St. Clair of Cobalt fame, where they were seemingly splashed by almost everyone in the industry

As I recall the Mark Twain and Trisonic, in the 19' editions were visually, from a short distance, the same hull. Mark Twain wasn't marketed down here and I only saw one and that was from 50'. Didn't see the interior layout.

Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
ok fellow boaters this has stumped me since i got this beast. its an 18ft and not your everyday run of the mill trihull. its almost twice the depth of any other trihull ive ever seen. an open bow. has a chevy straight 6 with a merc outdrive. it say by roy rogers. (as in the actor). this is the only pic i can find. i will take more when i get the chance. it kind of gives you an idea of how tall it is. that is just the lower half. also trisonic did not make a trihull yet. yet here is one.

Some referred to the trihull as a trihedral (having 3 sides/faces) hull especially when talking about the hulls where there is a significant distinction between the center monohull and the sponsons.

southkogs

Staff member
I KNEW something was familiar about your boat..
My boat is likely a Jim Wynne design. He was working with Silverline for a time (original founder was a Larson guy who went out on his own - John Buckman) and had designed a couple of boats already (the Aruba and Nantucket). I can't tell if Wynne did any design work for Twain or Tri-Sonic, but I think he did do a Cobalt design.

I was playing "amateur boat historian" with my Silverline for a while. Had to put it down and do stuff that paid though.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
spent 1980 - 2007 in MO saw lots of them of all flavors, and my first 'adult' boat was a '66 19'.

Plus we alos had a Silverline at a younger age in the PNW, always can spot the 'silver line' form afar.