New member with questions about his 11ft PrinceCraft.

Hey, everyone! I'd like to forewarn people that I'm as green to this type of job as they come so bare with me. I've had an old PrinceCraft aluminum boat passed down to me and I've finally decided I'd like to pump life back into her lungs. I measured the boat and it's roughly 11.3ft long and 48inches wide. I have spent a fair amount of time searching for a "11ft PrinceCraft" but I'm having a hard time finding any info on anything shorter than 12ft. It does mention on the label inside the boat that it has a maximum weight of 525 pounds, no more than a 7.5hp motor and also mentions its the "Cartop" model but fails to mention the year.

Cutting to the chase, I would LOVE to build a casting deck for this boat that could be removable. This boat just seems shorter than the average boat people seem to be putting decks on. I've already fallen off a boat into the drink once in my life and I'd like it to be a one time experience. Would a casting deck turn my 11ft boat into a unstable nightmare? Also, does anyone know how I could find out what year this boat was? I'd love to restore this boat to its originally colours but I don't really have anything to base it off of aside from some horrendously peeling red paint and a ton of random spray painting...because someone thought that was a good idea at the time...

Anyhow, any and all input is welcome and very much appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

-Kyle

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
yep WAY too small for a casting deck.... for the most part that is a boat you stay seated in and near the center.... 525 lbs isn't much after you subtract motor fuel battery tackle maybe a cooler and a minnow bucket... leaves you needing to not be too heavy.

Bondo

Staff member
yep WAY too small for a casting deck.... for the most part that is a boat you stay seated in and near the center.... 525 lbs isn't much after you subtract motor fuel battery tackle maybe a cooler and a minnow bucket... leaves you needing to not be too heavy.

Ayuh,.... Agreed,.... Just standin' up in the center of the barge, it's gonna be "Tippy",....

Standin' on the forward seat, will probably be followed by goin' Swimmin',.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard. If you want a casting deck - get a bigger boat.

at 11' ,the boat is a dinghy

Ayuh,.... Agreed,.... Just standin' up in the center of the barge, it's gonna be "Tippy",....

Standin' on the forward seat, will probably be followed by goin' Swimmin',.....

Well that confirms that! I'm excited to have a project and as I'd say; I'd love to build a casting deck but not at the risk of safety. Looks like I will just get some captain chairs and leave it at that. I could throw some pedestals with the seats, couldn't I? Or would that raise the centre of gravity too much? How about building a floorboard just to flatten out the front half of the boat? Is that reasonable?

Also, where could I find what the original colours of the boat are? I'm going to paint strip it and polish aluminum and then throw the original colours back on her if I can find them. It looks like the inside of the boat could have been originally painted a sky blue? Its a prince craft from the 70's. Anyone have a bone to throw me there?

Thanks a lot guys. You just saved me from being another one of "those guys" on the water, ha ha ha!

Cheers,

-Kyle

I'm a fly fisherman who has spent almost all of his time kicking around a lake in a kick boat or begging for a seat in my buddies cramped flat bottomed Springbok so to me an 11ft boat seems HUGE, ha ha ha. Finally getting MY OWN boat feels like a major jump in the right direction. I got excited and jumped online as to how I can customize this little guys and make it mine! Double anchor locks, Casting decks, Bow mounting a trolling motor with a foot pedal, getting a 4.5hp engine, pedestaled captain seats....then I was struck down with reality. 525lbs isn't much at all. I'm a tall drink of water at 165 but my two fishing partners are 185 and the other is just over 200 (Not that both of them will be in the boat at the same time). Throw on a motor, cooler, casting deck, seats, couple of strapping lads and their beers and the only footage my GoPro would be picking up is some sick rescue footage, ha ha ha. I kept trying to tell myself I could get away with a casting deck even though I had my doubts. Thanks for keeping a fella's feet grounded in reality!

-Kyle

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
arent fly fishermen supposed to be knee deep in a stream?

arent fly fishermen supposed to be knee deep in a stream?

God knows I love being knee deep in a stream! I live in the interior of British Columbia, Canada. We have a handful of decent rivers to fish but many of them are quite the drive for me to get to. We have more mountain lakes than you could count though. A 2 hour drive will give me the option of hitting countless lakes. Stillwater trout fishing is really popular around these parts.

Ned L

Commander
Welcome. -- This boat is that small and light that every INCH you raise things will have a noticable effect on the stability. I would even hesitate to add "captains chairs". You may well even notice the difference of just sitting on a cushion.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yeah you are ALMOST snapped into reality....

ANALOGY:
You have been sleeping on a park bench under newspapers and dreaming of a house.... You just got a really cool old pup tent and got really excited... who wouldn't? that's a HUGE step up from the bench. You already figured out you don't have room in the tent for the pool table and big screen tv but sadly the double recliner isn't gonna fly either,,,,

Start with throwable flotation cushions since you are required to have one on board anyway and where better to stow it than under your rear... You COULD possibly install a swivel seat with no pedestal but in a boat that small you need to be able to move side to side to balance it...

EX:
You sit off to the side in the back to operate the motor... your fishing buddy in the front then slides to the other side....

You certainly don't need to polish the aluminum to paint it... in fact completely stripping it is un needed... clean it and wire brush away loose scale.... sand with 400-600 grit.... clean again, wipe w wax remover or alcohol, paint..... go fishing.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Don't know if anyone mentioned if yopu measure along the gunnel you'll find it about 12 ft.
If the beam is 48" it is a" little"boat.Problem with little boats is as you add weight they bog down easier than something with a bigger foot print.
Eliminateing unnecessary weight may help some.The 4.5 will run 2 to 2 1/2 hours at wot(wide open throttle). So you may be able to downsise the main tank
or spare can.A light Danforth style anchor,A couple of light paddles perhaps from an inflatable. instead of oars.A cheap styrofoam cooler shaded to make the ice last longer.
There is a slim chance the boat may plane with one aboard if you buy or make a tiller extension.A few pounds one way or the other may make the difference.
There is a video on you tube with a little jon boat with a 2 hp and light driver planing easily.

64osby

Admiral
. It does mention on the label inside the boat that it has a maximum weight of 525 pounds, no more than a 7.5hp motor.......

-Kyle

How does the tag read. 525 and 7.5 or including 7.5. would make a big difference.

Don't know if anyone mentioned if yopu measure along the gunnel you'll find it about 12 ft.
If the beam is 48" it is a" little"boat.Problem with little boats is as you add weight they bog down easier than something with a bigger foot print.
Eliminateing unnecessary weight may help some.The 4.5 will run 2 to 2 1/2 hours at wot(wide open throttle). So you may be able to downsise the main tank
or spare can.A light Danforth style anchor,A couple of light paddles perhaps from an inflatable. instead of oars.A cheap styrofoam cooler shaded to make the ice last longer.
There is a slim chance the boat may plane with one aboard if you buy or make a tiller extension.A few pounds one way or the other may make the difference.
There is a video on you tube with a little jon boat with a 2 hp and light driver planing easily.

So it is a 12ft boat then. Thank you for confirming that; its been driving me crazy. The beam is 48 inches wide as well so you have an exact picture of what I'm working with. I never thought of plastic oars or light weight anchors and I will absolutely look more into that option as well. I appreciate that info. I'm in the process of finding a motor for it and I'm leaning towards a 4.5.

64osby - On the "recommended maximum limitations" it reads "525LBS including motor(s) passengers and all equipment"

64osby

Admiral
That 525 including the motor pretty much says you will max out the capacity if you bring one of your fishing buddies.

I had a 12'er that was flipped after one year for a 14'er. The capacity increased to 745 lbs and up to a 18hp motor. The 12'er with a 5.5 hp had very little freeboard with two 80lb kids riding along with me.

So after thinking this whole process through with some gentle nudges from forum members I now see that building a casting deck would be "iffy" at the best end of the scale. What's finally settled in is that 525lbs is not much weight at all. I did a rough calculation of the realistic amount of weight in the boat with the bare basics and I was already up to 500lbs with me and 1 buddy in the boat with me. Seems like even with the basics I'll be looking to spare weight. On the bright side; I'll still be fishing out of my own boat! I can't wait to 'pretty' her up a bit. Also, on the plus side, I always like having future projects! I'll absolutely be keeping my eye out for a unicorn-esque type deal on a 14ft-16ft boat that I could have a little more fun with.

So, my next newbie question is about the motor. What size of motor would be ideal for a boat like this? I read a lot of other 12ftrs that talk about putting 10-15hp motors which seems insane seeing as mine tops out at 7.5hp. What about the boat would make the difference of being able to handle such a bigger motor? I'm not looking for a motor to troll with but more just a motor to get me from A to B. I'm not looking to break speed records but I'd like to get around at a reasonable pace. For some reason I am thinking I'd like to lean towards a 5hp but I have nothing to base it on.

Thanks for the help, guys

-Kyle

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
If you don't load her up too much it will surely plane with one aboard.You'll need the tiller extension I suggested.
The old Gale and Evinruide Johnson 5 and 5.5 motors were great motors and many
new and used parts are readily available some here at iboats.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I don't see much capacity for the weight of a motor unless you and your buddy are fairly light... heck 2 of me and there would only be 45 lbs left for all gear and the motor... there ARE some very light motors in the 2 hp and down range but expect 4-5 mph top speed.

64osby

Admiral
If you don't load her up too much it will surely plane with one aboard.You'll need the tiller extension I suggested.
The old Gale and Evinruide Johnson 5 and 5.5 motors were great motors and many
new and used parts are readily available some here at iboats.

+1 on these motors. The other thing is these are twin cylinder motors and run much smoother than a one lunger.