Hp limits after boat modification

Streffpilot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, if someone was to lengthen their boat by say 2 feet or so, would there be any justification for adding hp over the written limit? Because there would be more weight, more flotation foam......etc.

pckeen

Commander
Ummmm. How are you going to do that? By putting on an outboard bracket? |That won't alter the displacement or basic characteristics of your hull, so it shouldn't make a difference.

Streffpilot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No. Was thinking of whacking the hull right before the transom and adding maybe 18-24" would look like it came factory that way.

NYBo

Admiral
Reminds me of an excruciatingly long thread on another forum about hull extension...

Is this a hypothetical question, Streffpilot? Lengthening a hull by 2 feet doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Streffpilot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hypothetical/musing/wifewontagreetoanotherboat

It is a lot of work, and probably will never happen, but I would like to have a little more room in the boat.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
in the eyes of any applicable laws and if you don't then re title it as a home built with a new HIN then no you can't add more hp..

Unless you have extensive experience in fiberglass boat fabrication and repair don't even consider it.... just the material cost would far far far far exceed buying another hull and selling yours..... Then the time involved... figure spending every saturday for a year of so... your wife will likely kick you out just from the glass dust that will take over your hoome and you may take a couple years off your life working with it.... takes a very special kind of brain damage for thos of us who are up to grabbing an angle grinder w a 40 grit flap disk and becoming scratcher the itchy ghost.

You just have to be creative..... starve yourself at lunch and walk as much as possible to save gas money...... then find the right deal and work everything to happen at once with her never even smelling your little stash of mad money..... Instead of "honey I want to buy another boat" which might be a tough sell, it's "honey I don't know what to do, I'm scared that our boat is too small and just not as for our family as I would like" and then a month or so later "HEY HONEY COME QUICK! Look at the boat that I just traded our old one off for and look I even got enough extra boot money to buy you these flowers and this new pillow for me since I know I'll be on the couch for a week or two"

jbcurt00

Staff member
Using the boat in your sig line as an example, does Starcraft offer a 19ft 'version' of your hull, in the same beam?

No, it doesn't.

A 2ft longer version of most hulls will look stretched w/ an unchanged beam, IMO.

Although he did a really nice job of it, I think oops hull extension made his look more like a cigarette style boat: Long & narrow. But it isn't a cigarette boat. My hope for him is that he's running the heck out of it & LOVES it. Since he dropped off the forum before he 'finished' it, hard to know what it's long term review is.

BTW: It's your boat, if you want to overpower it, stretched or not. Of course, your family, insurance agent and any local water cops may all see it differently ;)

Buy a bigger boat that better serves your needs/wants.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Her is a real world example: I have a 20 foot Manatee cuddy It is rated for something like 140 Horsepower (in the catalog! --20 foot and over do not require horsepower ratings or passenger capacity plates.) The exact same hull is made in an 18 foot cuddy and it is rated at something like 115 horsepower. The 20 footer is long and narrow because of the extra 2 feet and tends to roll a bit with passenger movement.

Do not even think of stretching your boat. It requires engineering skills as well as building skills. Stringers would need to be replaced, not lengthened. Hull bottom and sides would need to be reinforces at the break and even then it would be weaker than the original structure.. All in all, not a good idea and you might become a candidate for the Darwin awards.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Agree with others, get another boat or think about something else. You NEVER have enough room on the water and your boat is NEVER small enough when you are trying to work with it when on dry land. BTDT and quit trying to solve an impossible puzzle after about 8 attempts and puking a lot of money. Kind of like a work shop. Regardless of how big you make it it is never big enough.

Mark