88 bayliner getting wider?

saumon

Lieutenant
I'd stop using it too. If the stringers turned into mulch, how do you think the transom is?

tpenfield

Staff member
me and my friend are considering options. been looking at other boats that need motors and they are in worse shape then this one. hell now that i know what to look for im seeing a lot of other boats with the same issue.
so for now. how safe is this boat. i figure its still good to fish and troll with. but with bad ribs is speed is an issue? basically trying to figure out what i can be used for till we actually tear it down to rebuild.

No one can say for sure . . . so it is best to go on the side of caution. As I always say, 'nothing good can happen' to the boat by continuing to use it. On the down side, the hull could develop greater deformities and even have a puncture if the 'skeleton' of it is deteriorated to the extend that it seems to be.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
To be clear stringers support the hull from bow to stern. Frames support the hull gunwale to gunwale. The OP is describing a situation where the sides of the hull in the bow have moved less than an inch outward, each. This could indicate some issue with a frame, which is why I recommended an inspection of the other gunwale to gunwale portions of the hull.

I am therefore not sure how anyone can draw conclusions about the state of the transom or stringers, based upon the OP's description.

circeseye

Cadet
exactly...... I mean OF COURSE dig in and check it out BUT it ABSOLUTELY HAS structural issues.....

He hasn't dropped it off at a shop for an estimate, he has posted a question on the internet for other people to tell him what they believe the problem is based on the info he chose to provide.

i like to redo my own things. and i actully take everyones thought into perspective. and the info i provided was all that i can see what more do you want? from the top everything is solid. the only sign i had something was wrong was the window. but from the info everone is giving there definatly is an issue. so i will be digging to figure out how bad. i only through if it can be used question out there to satisfy my friend. he is having a hard time believing that its that bad. i actually had to tell him "imagine your ribs are broken and you went swimming". lol
i actually dont mind the time and labor to repair it. cause i know when i do redo it it will be perfect. (kind of like my 1970 trisonic trihull im working on)

but i will say this from what i have seen of the construction of the boat. they scimped badly with it. cheap untreated materials. none of the wood was ever treated for water. so yea my work is cut out for me.

jbcurt00

Staff member
but i will say this from what i have seen of the construction of the boat. they scimped badly with it. cheap untreated materials. none of the wood was ever treated for water. so yea my work is cut out for me.

IMO, the problem isn't really how the boat was built, it's years of neglect and lack of maintenance. A poorly built, but diligently maintained boat could easily outlast an extremely well built but neglected boat.

Most fiberglass boats are built similarly and few use a treated wood of any kind, even now. BTW, don't confuse the wet and heavy pressure treated wood available at your local lumber yard for the kiln dried PT plywood some boat builders are using now.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
If you are up for the work then by all means SAVE HER :D

head over to the restoration section and read a few similar threads.... most start with "tiny soft spot in floor" and snowball from there...

There are several guys here that can guide you through every detail of rebuilding her better faster stronger... we have the technology.... ok sorry childhood tv flashback lol.... anyway there is nothing terribly complex in there the dry dock boys will teach you tricks that will make it easier from start to finish Not easy but easier.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
So, the recommendation now is for the OP to inspect the boat for damage, rather than to assume she is rotten thru and thru. I guess I made my point, as that was what I was advocating.

tpenfield

Staff member
Another thing to keep in mind is that as the boat gets wider, it is probably getting shorter :)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, Smoke, your first post said her bones were rotten. And the OP should look for another boat. You were not the only one of that opinion. I simply did not understand how you and the others came to that conclusion, based upon the OP's first post. I thought tpenfield had the right advice. JMO...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
EDIT:

Circeseye, You are correct.... I apologize for my part in mucking up your thread.... I have edited several posts to clean it up.

Very interested to hear your findings and sincerely hoping I have this one wrong.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Had any time to dig in to it yet and see what you can see?

circeseye

Cadet
no i havent. its at my friends house an hour away. so might be a few days before i can get there.