Boat for sale model year not matching?

FMHolly

Recruit
We’ve been looking at a used Cobalt A25. The broker lists it at a 2010, however this model did not begin until 2011. When asked why he listed it as a 2010 rather than 2011 he stated because the vin plate listed it as being produced 2010. This seems unusual and kind of suspicious to me. Cars don’t do this….should it raise a red flag?
But here are my concerns: I cannot use NADA to help base price because 2010 option is not there. I am not sure what warranties if any would expire in 2015 at the 5 year mark, could that be why he is doing this? Or is it possible it was a demo boat by Cobalt that was perhaps was used at boat shows in 2010 so the year is somewhat legitimate? When I go to sell it would I have to list the boat as 2010 and price the boat as one year older than it really is?
Regards,
FM

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

He has to go by the HIN. You could contact Cobalt for clarification on the apparent discrepancy and the warranty issue.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
2011 models would have started production in 2010.

Just compare the HIN to what is shown here:
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

For example, if the last 4 digits of the HIN of the boat you are looking at was k011, it was manufactured in November 2010 for the model 2011 year.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I'm gonna say that the most likely scenario here is that the HIN shows the manufacture year but the TITLE should lshow the model year.... IE boat built in say november 2010 as a 2011 model boat.... ASK him for a rubbing or picture of the HIN of the boat AND a copy of the portion of the title showing information specific to the boat... He'll likely want to black out personal info on the seller.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Cars don't do this. Should it raise a red flag?

I've been driving my 2015 model year car around since july... The registration card shows 2015 as model year, and 2014 as year first registered... No different than your boat.

Last edited:

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wait until you check the serial #s on the engine and drive. The years may not match up either. Also, did you check with Cobalt that the model didn't start until 2011? Wouldn't be the first time NADA or a broker listing was wrong.