Keeping my fingers crossed tonight

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I've winterised many a block with the anti freeze muffs method. Drain completly,including the oil coolers,circulating pump hose,manifolds,block,water heatres if they have one. Run 4-5 gallons through--depending on you're systym,done. Never had an issue. I know,air don't freeze. Bondo is right on that respect. Neither does -100 coolant-blue. Some drain after the anti,but I don't just because I don't. Now the Bravo's we use a freshwater pump,as the pump on the motor when on the hard don't want to pull water or anti to well,the pump insures the anti is getting through the entire systym.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
As long as you drain the water first we couldn't care less if you put antifreeze in... I mean heck you could fill it with powdered gold and it wouldn't freeze as long as the water is gone...... SOOOOO now that we settled that

O/P Did you take care of the problem? are you still crossing fingers? OR are you crying over a busted motor?

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
I've winterised many a block with the anti freeze muffs method. Drain completly,including the oil coolers,circulating pump hose,manifolds,block,water heatres if they have one. Run 4-5 gallons through--depending on you're systym,done. Never had an issue. I know,air don't freeze. Bondo is right on that respect. Neither does -100 coolant-blue. Some drain after the anti,but I don't just because I don't. Now the Bravo's we use a freshwater pump,as the pump on the motor when on the hard don't want to pull water or anti to well,the pump insures the anti is getting through the entire systym.
I agree with you on the AF part. If it is drained first go ahead and spend some extra money. I don't understand the Bravo pump part. Mine has a Bravo and other than the removing the hoses I don't do anything different from the Alpha.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
The block is full of water not air, unless you drain it first. Yes the block fills from the bottom but if the thermostat is not open and block not drained VERY little AF will end up in the block. It just goes out the exhaust.

Right, hence the second paragraph in my post.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did not check it after Monday night for the first of the two nights in the teens. It was hard not to keep running up there, but I did all I could do...just had to wait it out. My mechanic sent his bill Thursday for winterizing and he would not have done it if it was too late - so I can only assume it is ok. I will call him later today to be absolutely sure.

All's well that ends well!