Looking for wide older aluminum boat

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys,
I am a bit stuck. I would like to get a deep V, wide (96+ inches) aluminum boat. The age does not matter, the budget of (say 3-5k WITHOUT the motor) dictates the age. Length should be 18+, motor rating of about 150.

I have looked at brochures of older Starcrafts, but 18 footers are only 76 inches wide and 96 inch beams are only available on 22 footers (starcheif, mariner).
I do not want cuddy, open bow is much more preferred.

Can someone recommend make/model?

P.S. idea is to take older hull, refurbish and put new motor on (if it requires one).

robert graham

Admiral
Sea Ark Boats makes some pretty serious fishing/hunting and commercial work boats.....96 inches would be a work boat....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Alumacraft, Lund, and Crestliner are all great boats and with the variety of their offerings (tiller, side console and dual console), there should be something that fits your needs.

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the information, but I do not think it really answers my question.
The problem is that I am looking at 15+ year old boat. I cannot just go to the dealer and check specs of different models. Also boat like this is not very common, so the option of going and looking at a lot of used boats is not an option. I did find brochures for Starcrafts on this forum and that helped me to understand that I am only looking at 22 footers. I cannot find old brochures for Alumacraft, lund or crestliner.
I was hoping that someone with the boat that falls in my specs will say "Hey, lund made a model XXXX in 90's that was very wide and deep"
I have checked out sea ark, but it is not a deep boat. I am more interested in family friendly boat.
Thanks in advance

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you very much bonz! Very good suggestion. I wonder why I did not find it before.

shrew

Lieutenant
18' boat with an 8 ft beam is going to be tough to find in any year, make or model. I'm not saying impossible, I'm sure there are examples out there, however they are going to be relatively rare. All boats are an exercise in compromise. A boat that wide relative to its length is going to move like a barge. While the beam makes it roomy and stable, not many manufacturers are going to go this route.

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Shrew, you are right. However it is much better now than it used to be. Almost any bowrider/fishing boat in 18 feet size has a wide beam. I have looked at starcraft, lund, crestliner, smokercraft and almost all of them have 18 footer with 94+ beam. older boats are different. for example starcraft had almost same hull in 16 and 18 footers ( same width but different length), you had to go to 22 feet long boat to get 96 inch beam. Now 18 footers are like 20 footers. BTW that explains a huge price jump between 18 footer and 16 footer.
I have 2011 16 feet Sylvan and it has 82 inch beam. I would like something wider and longer without going super long.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Nothing to add regarding possible makes/models but I'd suggest checking surplus auctions if you're not already. As has been said, you're most likely to find what you're looking for in a work boat hull. Happy hunting!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Finding an 8-foot beam in a 18 footer is not difficult -- and certainly available in the age you are looking at. Again, I bring up Alumacraft and Lund as examples of boats of that style. They have been produced for years. In the case of Alumacraft, look for a Navigator 175, 185, or 195. In the case of Lund, you are looking for a Pro-V or one of the other models in their mid-upper price range for the time. You can also do a search for boat reviews which usually have specs.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Just another thought about wanting a trailered boat that is close to being over width for the roadways. You may want to check your State and local road width restrictions. I know in my area there are a number of bridges that would not accommodate the safe passing of 2 vehicles that are at or over 8 feet wide.