Bravo 3 - Seawater Inlet Hose

ormjgrouch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey guys, hope all is well. I"m in the process of winterizing my 2000 chaparral 300 while in the water, if i disconnect the seawater inlet hose from the raw water pump, will water just keep flowing in? Little confused.

thanks
o

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Yes it will unless you have a seacock and close it. If you don't you can put a valve on it but I wouldn't try that on the water.

tpenfield

Staff member
hey guys, hope all is well. I"m in the process of winterizing my 2000 chaparral 300 while in the water, if i disconnect the seawater inlet hose from the raw water pump, will water just keep flowing in? Little confused.

thanks
o

Yes, you will have plenty of water flowing in. It should be very exciting.

I am curious as to the winterization process that you are doing, given that the boat is still in the water?

agallant80

Commander
Where are you located? Is it salt or fresh water? The water temp will be warmer than the air temp which will help.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
pull the boat and install a seacock..... that is the right way to do it.

If pulling the boat out isn't an option, personally, with good help, I wouldn't be afraid to install the sea **** on the water BUT there is absolutely NO margin for error... you would need a back up plan AND a backup for your backup plan.... including a few wooden plugs to be able knock on in if you have issues.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
I don't know exactly how the Bravo III's seawater hose is routed, but on my Volvo's I have the same issue, no seacock. We just pull the hose up between the manifolds and valve cover. Raising the hose up stops the water flow. If you can raise the hose up high enough you can install a ball valve in the end of the hose or just secure it above the water line.

On my setup the bilge pump out-paces the flow of water from the inlet hose (from 1 motor, I think if both were letting water in the bilge would fall behind). I can take my time with the entire process and even use it as part of the cleaning process for the bilge.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
On a lot of boats I don't think the hose would be long enough to get above the waterline.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
On a lot of boats I don't think the hose would be long enough to get above the waterline.
On my bow rider there is no way it would very difficult. I'm thinking with his cruiser setup he'll have enough hose. Where I'm at most 30' + boats don't come out of the water for the winter.

I follow that winterization procedure provided in the link, and I also have the bilge heater. I've had no problems with the method. Get yourself what is probably 3/4" tubing to feed the antifreeze into the generator and A/C units. That piece of tubing is key to getting the job done.

ormjgrouch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Hey Guys, been meaning to share, but been busy, here is what my setup looks like. thanks guys. Toughest part was disconnecting the hose from the pump, talk about knuckle busters..

Attachments

• photo214430.JPG
    photo214430.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 1