Yacht certified rules?

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I like to take a lot of people along when I go boating. My current boat is rated for 11 people but my extended family totals out at 12 so I'm looking for something rated higher. Some of the boats I look at in the 24 to 26 foot range are yacht certified. What are the rules for passengers on a vessel like this? Do you just use your own judgment? Can a LEO's judgment override mine if he feels like it? Are there any other formulas to go by for weight like length, width, hp, etc. of the boat?

Thanks,

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
LEO can always override you if he thinks it is unsafe. Like if you had 3000# of people up on the fly bridge.

Yes, there is a formulas, not sure it is the final word.

formula used to be something like this:
number of people = the vessel length in feet times the vessel width in feet divided by 15

Not sure if it has been updated in the last few years.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i think i read that they upped the weight of people to 180 lbs from 150 so that would affect the math

Thalasso

Commander
The "Yacht Certified" label is bestowed upon a vessel by the NMMA (National Marine Manufacturing Association) because it complies with all applicable ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) standards. This is an extensive list, but for vessels over 26' in length, but there are no standards related to capacity or stability, and I asked the NMMA to verify this. The USCG also has a lot regulations regarding passenger capacity, and stability, but recreational vessels over 26' in length are excluded from compliance.

Example.

17 adults at 180 lbs equals 3060 lbs. 10 children at 90 lbs equals 900 lbs. 250 lbs of gasoline (full tanks) equals about 1500 lbs. 40 gallons of water (full tank) equal 340 lbs. The holding tank full weighs 150 lbs. The boat's dry weight is 12,500 lbs. If the tanks are full you have 1990 lbs at or near the waterline, and you have movable loads of 3960 lbs.

In the end it's a judgement call.
Did you read about the Silverton that capsized this past July? (27 people on board. Total) Children down below decks.
He had to many people on the fly bridge which made it top heavy. It's all about weight distribution

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
all this said.... 12 people on a 24' boat only sounds fun to me if 11 are college cheerleaders:eek:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
2011-NFL-Cheerleaders_79_1.jpg
Here you go

and yes, found on google http://cdn.ph.upi.com/collection/pv...b3e5562a022354/2011-NFL-Cheerleaders_79_1.jpg

Ned L

Commander
Hmm, ... 12 people (presuming adults) on anything less that at least mid-30ft range is going to be pretty tight, and with that it might be nice to have a pretty good understanding of stability and its concerns.
A couple of years ago there was something like a mid-30's ft power boat off Long Island with about 17 aboard (mixed children and adults) that capsized from the weight (calm water). At least one child drowned.

-------------------

edit. .... Oops, it was 27 aboard the 34ft boat (!), and three drowned. ......... Still, 12 people is a lot of people.

As a refresher (sorry, "rogue wave" in Oyster Bay N.Y......... no)
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...Three-Children-Dead-Oyster-Bay-161413985.html

Last edited:

KD4UPL

Thanks for the help guys. I've got some links to look up.
For further information I don't intend for 12 adults. We've got 4 kids ages 4 and down. Neither my wife, sister in law, or sister weighs anywhere close to 150 pounds. 11 of us on my 20.5' boat is crowded but we make it work.
Sounds like I need to go above 26' to get yacht certified. That's a problem because one of my favorite lakes has a 25' restriction but I don't think it's enforced. I asked several DGIF officers and they didn't even know the restriction existed.

KD4UPL

Thanks for the help guys. I've got some links to look up.
For further information I don't intend for 12 adults. We've got 4 kids ages 4 and down. Neither my wife, sister in law, or sister weighs anywhere close to 150 pounds. 11 of us on my 20.5' boat is crowded but we make it work.
Sounds like I need to go above 26' to get yacht certified. That's a problem because one of my favorite lakes has a 25' restriction but I don't think it's enforced. I asked several DGIF officers and they didn't even know the restriction existed.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
for that many people look into BIG pontoon

some friends and I recently did a venture w 3 adults and 4 kids from 12-18 on a 28' cruiser.... was ok but wouldn't have wanted many more

frantically relaxing

Our Chap's label says '14' persons, I've had 14 on it a few times. Last time was over the 4th. A bit tight but not bad.

If you want to haul a lot of people, a 53' x 14' wide semi-flatbottom houseboat does the trick! :D

I've had over 40 on board while at the dock for BBQ's, had 23 on top once (about 1/3 were kids)... Even with that many people, she doesn't rock or tilt a bit. :)

Ned L

Commander
With 53ft you may well be ok, but I might suggests you look up the difference between 'list' and 'loll'. When it comes to vessel stability you don't always have the forewarning of an unsafe sitution because the boat is starting to list. In the situation of a loll, everything can seem just fine, then the boat just rolls over. - might be a greater potential for this on a houseboat where you can add a lot of weight up high.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
for that many people look into BIG pontoon

some friends and I recently did a venture w 3 adults and 4 kids from 12-18 on a 28' cruiser.... was ok but wouldn't have wanted many more

I torpedoed a 25 footer with a 25 hp Outboard,rated for 10 people,when I looked back at the eagles overhead,they went forward,sinking the bow.....we were going slow at about 1/3 throttle wich isnt much. Dam near filpped it. I cut the throttle,some fell off the sides-over the rail. And water was deep at least over the front half of the toon . I've heard of these things happening but never belived it till that day. To much weight? Maby,shift in load? Defiantly!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
heck 11 big butts on the bow might sub my cruiser LOL.... Ur lucky you weren't driving the 53'er above with 40 on board..... mighta got the bow stuck in the lake bottom

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I did a little looking around and think I found a boat on eBay for you. Have a peak and tell me what you think.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ebaymotors/1965-C...orcev4exp=true

that would be awesome.

on our 34', 13' beam 6 adults was very comfortable. 8 with a couple kids was ok never had more than that on it save the one time we loaded 12 on for a Christmas eve run thru the marina singing Christmas carols.