Fiberglass and the cold

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want to do some work in my boat over the winter. I was told by more then one person it wasn't really that good to walk on the deck when its been below freezing for a few days. I live in NJ and get a few stretches of weeks at a time with lows in the 20's or lower. Should I just wait until March ?

Last edited:

Slip Away

Lieutenant
large_Gloucester-Mass-Snow-Boat-Jan11-09.jpg Go ahead and walk on the deck. Unless it is rotted through, it should be as solid as in the summer.
If you can shovel them off, you can sure walk on them.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
The only problems I ever had was with the vinyl cracking when it is cold. The fiberglass was fine with it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Yes, the fiberglass does not seem to mind the cold. The vinyl and especially any clear vinyl seems to hate the cold. If you plan to do any fiberglass repair work, you will need a source of heat to cure the resin.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Keep in mind lots of [older] snowmobile hoods are made of fiberglass. Many snowmobile trailer enclosures are also fiberglass.

nwcove

Admiral
geez....all the commercial fishing boats here are fiberglass......they fish at 20 below and beat the crap out of the boats while working them....if you feel that you cant walk on the deck if its been a bit chilly for a few days.......park it and sell it for parts...it cant be seaworthy. jmo

rickryder

Commander
I had no problem glassing in the NJ winter when I did my resto...I did tent and tarp it and blow in heat when laying mat and resin....I did mine in February

rjbergen

Cadet
Yes, the fiberglass does not seem to mind the cold. The vinyl and especially any clear vinyl seems to hate the cold. If you plan to do any fiberglass repair work, you will need a source of heat to cure the resin.

The existing fiberglass will be just fine.

Freshly laid fiberglass will need to have the adjoining material and ambient temperatures within the range specified by the resin. You'll likely need a heater.