Grady White Hull Problems

Tugs

Cadet
A good Friend on mine has been searching for a Grady White in the North East. The couple of boats that he has found (in the 23 to 26 foot range) have had Hull Problems. The way it is described to me is there is a separation (Delamination) on the Side of the hull which creates a void space that can trap water.

So, my question is have any of you heard of this problem? He has looked at several boats ranging from 23-28 feet and years from 1990-2001 and four of the for boats have failed a Marine Survey due to the above mentioned problem. I have a real problem believing that he had the bad luck to find the only boats with this problem, so I would think that others of you must had heard about this.

I live in Florida and he is up in new Jersey other wise I would be going to lok at these boats with him, so any and all help is greatly appreciated.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Never heard of such a thing.

Transoms yes...cores no

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
I do recall reading about a problem like this on a Grady. If I recall correctly, there is a layer of glassed-in wood on the sides of the hull that can/has absorbed water causing it to expand and delaminate.

Maybe check on THT, as I cannot recall where I read about this.

Certainly not a show stopper, but something to be repaired or negotiated in the sale.

tpenfield

Staff member
Update:

If you Google "Grady hull side delamination" a few hits from THT come up. I believe this is where I read about the issue.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Same surveyor? Seems odd as with any cored hull there is a change for this to happen, however if every single one he is having checked is failing, I almost thing to look at what the surveyor is doing more so than the boats.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Seen many cored hulls wet absorbed. Nature of the beast,to a point. If the hull,and surrounding hardware is kept sealed,a cored hull is fine. Lightweight,and durable. The fix? Cut out the glass,remove the wet/rotted core,replace. Witch will require a reglassing of the seams when it's laid back down and gelcost or paint to match. Get's pricey unless you have someone on the " inside" like I do. It still is pricey to me....lol Any vacume drying may work,but if it's mild wet in a small area it might.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Same surveyor? Seems odd as with any cored hull there is a change for this to happen, however if every single one he is having checked is failing, I almost thing to look at what the surveyor is doing more so than the boats.

This whole things is odd.Grady only uses balsa panels on select hulls and only above the water line. Grady's are expense and there are a lot of them out there. If this was as wide spread as suggested, it would be plastered all over the net.

There was a surveyor in NJ a couple of years ago bashing anything to do Grady pretty good. Perhaps he stumbled on to that guy