boat weight

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking at a master marine 28ft cc. Also known as a moonie boat. I know a lot of history about these boats and know they are beasts. Looking for a truck to tow it but i want to make sure the truck has the towing capacity. I can't for the life of me find any specs for these. Anyone? 1981 master marine 28 ft. Thanks.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Well the bare hull is about 3500 lbs + motor or motors + fuel (100 gals =850 lbs) + rigging + trailer and you are over 6000 lbs easy...... I would investigate a truck that has about 7500 or more tow capacity. I personally would not consider a half ton and a 3/4 ton at the minimum (just for the braking capacity).

My Sequoia SUV can handle 7000 but I would absolutely used my Chev 2500 which can handle 12000 lbs

Look for a 3/4 ton ;)

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
The NADA guide lists it with a 260 hp outboard motor. It is the good go te281. Origionally it was the one hope 39 mooney boat with an outboard on it. The boat was stripped and reconfigured and an 98 volvo penta 5.0gi was installed. I know the weight of the motor is 990 lbs. I was pretty much figuring on a full size truck. I was really looking to se if i could get by with a smaller truck since i will only be yrailering the boat 2 times a season... in and out. A tacoma 4x4 Trd package double cab has a towing capacity of 6600 lbs which is more than some tundra and f150 capacities. Way better on gas and a better vehicle for my all around driving needs. Just weighing my options. Thanks for the info!

OrangeTJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Personally, I can't imagine comfortably towing something that size with anything short of a 3/4 ton truck. It's not just about power, it's about how solid the suspension is, the heavier duty cooling system, the heavier service brakes and the heavier tires that come with this type of truck. a 28 foot boat means a total length on the trailer of over 30 feet. Consider carefully whether you'd want to tow something that long, with that relatively high center of gravity and that heavy with something like a Tacoma. I wouldn't. If I didn't want an HD truck (I have one and love having it, even as a DD), and was only towing twice a year, I might consider just renting an appropriate truck to tow it on occasion as opposed to tow it with a marginally capable truck.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great advice. I certainly don't want to ruin my main method of transportation towing an oversized boat. I'm in limbo as to weather or not going with a full size or not. If i don't go full size I definitely won't be towing the boat. You say you love the full size... the lack of gas mileage scares me. I like the extra room though. Not sure if the extra 10k is worth it. I towed this boat with a gmc sierra extended cab which was more than enough power... I definately knew something was behind me though!

thumpar

Admiral
How far do you have to tow? If it is only 2 times a year and not too far you could pick up an old Ford or GM 3/4 ton for pretty cheap or just rent a truck for the 2 trips. We tow with a 03 Suburban. I can't imagine towing our boat (about 4500lbs loaded with trailer) with anything smaller. We have a Safari van that technically could pull it spec wise but I wouldn't want to.

mklearl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I tow only a few miles.. putting it in and pulling it out. I have options as to storage, renting a truck, having a friend do it etc. I'm not sure if I'm trying to talk myself out of getting a full size truck or talking myself into getting one. I have decided though if I haul that boat it will be with a full size. Thanks for the input!

JoLin

Vice Admiral
3/4 ton truck for sure, if you're going to buy one. My 24' Chris Craft weighed in loaded at about 7500 lbs with the trailer, and my Ram 2500 was the right rig for the job.

If you're only towing a couple of times a year, sell the trailer and hire a transporter to do it for you. I just had my 9,500 lb. Carver hauled from a launch ramp about 10 miles away, to my driveway. For $170. he picked up the boat, brought it to my house and blocked it in my driveway. I didn't have to do anything but drive the boat to the ramp. 22 cement blocks at $1.50 each and about $30.00 worth of 2x boards, all reusable next year (and the years after that).

No trailer maintenance, repair and annual registration fees. And no more hassle of towing, launching and retrieving a heavy boat.

My .02

Last edited: