Why do you boat?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I started thinking more about this while particapating in TexasMarks topic. So why do you boat? Where do you find the interest?

I right now do it as a means to another end. Fishing. In my area it is practically impossible to get on the water to fish w/o a boat. Not a lot of public access. So for me a boat is a tool to use to be able to accomplish the fishing I enjoy. The wife also enjoys fishing and fishing from the boat. But she's just not that interested in going cruising in the boat.

I have also lived on the water and around boats my entire life and just couldn't picture myself not being around water. Would just love to own a new Lund but as I'm hoping to retire in just a few more years so that isn't in the real picture. Also a dream for after retirement would be to find a nice Glasspar SeaFair Sedan to restore and enjoy before I GO.

Last edited:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I fish,............

While I see lot's of cruisers that look cool, Especially if there is a bikini or more on the boat,..........I just don't get the cruisers,......

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you want to call it boating, I have a 14 foot Lund with a 30 hp. Just love to be out on the water cursing or fishing when it's nice out.

Don

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Well,some fishing,but I like to get out and see the sights. There are alot of them up here by the Apostle islands.

pckeen

Commander
An escape from everyday life...and an entertainment device for four kids....

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I love being out on the water in a boat at first light. I love to boat into the swamps (I live in Florida) and fish for bass. Fishing from a boat is my hobby and exercise. Taking a ride in a boat is boring to me.

OrangeTJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I boat to spend time with my family and friends out on the water. On most outings, we spend probably 75% of any given outing just tied off in a cove or by a beach floating, swimming, etc.. Other times it is maybe 50% cruising/tubing/boarding and 50% floating.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
If not for the need for a boat to fish in this area I'm not sure if I would miss not having one at this point. I might add that a while back the most enjoyment I can remember was while kayaking. I think of obtaining another but not sure I'm physically up to a long paddle these days.

Also how big of a factor is the waters used do you folks think is involved with the type and size of boat a person selects?

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
If you want to call it boating, I have a 14 foot Lund with a 30 hp. Just love to be out on the water cursing or fishing when it's nice out.

Don

I get plenty of cursing done when stuff breaks! :D Sorry, low hanging fruit/typo.

For me it's evolved into fishing, often solo. It's the best excuse to get out on the water, even if the weather sucks. Where I live, trolling for cold water species is where it's at, and you need a boat to do that. Going by yourself is the best de-stresser I know of.

Maclin

Admiral
For me early on it was always an activity involved with a camping weekend with an occasional ski-only evening during the week. Water sports,cruising and swimming off the boat were the primary duties for the craft. Now it is mostly cruising and floating and swimming. We have a Marina with eats available to us where we are currently and we putt around there sometimes and fill up on eats and conversation. I am thinking hard about budgeting in a slip next season.

I have always trailer boated on inland lakes. Until lately the lakes were pretty shallow but now am around deeper and bigger lakes. Started with small fiberglas outboards, went to a larger stern drives with V8's, now back mostly to smaller outboard v-hull. If we fish we do it from shore, rarely have any gear in the boat(s).

I do like to take something, car, boat, whatever, that may not be in use or even useable and work on it until it is useable. With a boat it was part of the experience. Well, when I was younger and was still limber that was the case. Now I really appreciate a well maintained unit that just needs upkeep or one or two things fixed but still very useable.

My favorite thing now is an early morning sunrise or early evening sunset cruise, just whenever I can catch some glass conditions. I am close enough to my favorite lake that I can wait until an hour or so before and make the decision to go. Having it in a slip is very tempting for next season for these reasons.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Why do I boat? Well fishing involves the center console, and being out on the water on nice days, wind in my face and the occasional fish biting. Friends coming over involves the tri-toon and more people but little need for speed. Anchoring the boat, listening to music, having a few drinks, catching some rays, and splashing in the water until it is time to go eat either at a restaurant on the water or at the house. Good friends and good times. Lastly it is the waverunners. My wife loves them especially on smooth water when no one else is out there. Go exploring, picnic, and ride to the bar. Really anytime on the water is either relaxing, or makes a good story later. Lots of storms have made good stories!

ziggy

Admiral
in the begging, i guess i was just infatuated with grandads wood fishing boats. that was the 60's. in the 70's it became dad's trihull speedboat. water skiing, girls, and more water skiing & more girls (we lived next to a family of 4 girls, 2 about my age). in the 70's for two years it was also my transportation to work at a resort on the lake i lived on. then 15 years off from boating, :facepalm: then jet skiing for 9 years, went trough 2 pwc's. to mix it up, i did camp runs and distance runs w/ the pwc. it was great. then back to speed boating. i go for the excitement. i boat at night, and in adverse conditions, i camp on my boat that's only 19' long.. i do it for the peace and quite, the excitement, the knowing i got my duck's in a row for when the **** goes south. i hope. so far, only once have i not had my duck's in a row. not horrible for boating for 40 years or so. and i got away unscathed that one time luckily.

thumpar

Admiral
I just love the water. When I was growing up I spent every summer with my grandpa in the Strait of Juan de Fuca fishing. I now do it for fun. There is no better day that I can think of than going out on the lake and then coming home to a BBQ. Maybe being Norwegian has something to do with it. When my financial advisor asked me what I wanted to do when I retire I told her I wanted to buy a big boat to live on. She kind of got silent for a few seconds.

Last edited:

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well, the alternative is not boating so I guess that's not acceptable.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
WoW, thanks for all the responses!

As I've mentioned many times over the years since I've been here we now live just off a 800 acre lake with a mean depth of about 8 - 10' with many areas that are less than 3' so there is much of the lake that is unuseable accept to slow fishing boats. Many of the local lakes here in SE Wisconsin are the same way. The "Big 3" within an hours drive would be Michigan, Geneva and Delavan lakes. Unless I cross over the boarder into Illinios then I could add the Fox River Chain o Lakes.

Lake Michigan deserves or requires a much larger boat than I have presently to fully enjoy it. Then in my opinion the other 3 bodies of water are great if you can get out on them during the week but best to stay off on the weekends. So I guess this has helped shape which type of boat I own and the reason for owning it. Also not being on the waterfront we have to trailer it each time we use it and a bigger boat would become a hassle and I don't think we would use it as much.

When I was growing up we lived on the Fox River Chain and a person could cruise all day long and never pass the same way twice unless they were going down river. Even with that one could go down river, pass through the locks, then go to the last dam and that trip would take a whole day. So with that I guess I don't understand those people in the big high powered boats on these small lakes zooming around in circles all day and thinking that's fun. But I guess it must be to them because they are doing it!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I live in Florida ... What else is there to do ? ;)
If I lived a couple hours west of here on the BIG RIVER I think my boating style would change. Though I also find it funny that those that live on the waterfront have bigger boats that never seem to leave the dock.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
Quiet time spent on the water with family and friends, fishing and making memories.