Stamas opinions

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking at a 73 Stamas 21' walk around cuddy. Is anyone familiar or has owned one? How do they handle? Good construction? Any known issues?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
If its still around after over 40 years it must have been very good 1973 construction. Having said that, what shape is your 40 year old unrestored car in? There will be some problems.

tpenfield

Staff member
Stamas is a very good boat, but 1973 is a long time ago . . . so don't buy it on brand reputation.

mr 88

Commander
I had a 1973 26' Stamas and wish I never sold it 8 years ago to a charter Captain on Lake Ontario where it is still working. It was built like a brick shithouse and took the heavy seas like a 36' boat.I did tour there plant years ago and was impressed by there operation and reputation as building a hull that is bullitproof.The stringers were fiberglass encapsulated and water intrusion was never a issue with these hulls regardless of year. [ unless the PO drilled holes into said areas ] I would buy another 1973 Stamas in a heartbeat based on my previous time owning one,might have to repower it but it would be worth it. Best boat I ever owned.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
The stringers were fiberglass encapsulated and water intrusion was never a issue with these hulls regardless of year. [ unless the PO drilled holes into said areas

Not knocking Stamas by any stretch, but virtually every fiberglass boat ever made with wooden stringers, had those stringers encapsulated in fiberglass. That's simply how it's done. And a very large percentage of 40 year old boats with fiberglass encapsulated wooden stringers, have rotten stringers. As tpenfield said, 1973 is a long time ago, and it pretty much doesn't matter who made it. The transom and stringers need to be checked over very, very carefully.

My .02

Last edited:

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The only thing keeping me from buying it is the 98 Johnson with Fitch fuel injection that is bolted to the back of it.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Good quality built boat. Age is everything. If still solid, you should re-power before you buy it.