Opinions on Hydaulic Steering

sidewalkman

Cadet
I've got an 18' bowrider with a Merc 150 OB on the back. I notice a ton of torque steer with the cable steering system and understand a lot of that goes away with a hydraulic system. I've priced them out for a BayStar around 550.00.

Is the investment worth it?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
they ARE nice, no doubt about it BUT proper adjustment of the trim tab, proper motor height, and prop selection should eliminate most of the torque steer and a NFB cable steering system for much less money will do 99% of the same thing for you as the hydro steering... With any steering system short of power steering you still have to overcome the torque when turning the wheel against it but with the NFB and the hydro you can let go of the wheel any time and it will stay put

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
proper adjustment of the trim tab, proper motor height, and prop selection should eliminate most of the torque steer and a NFB cable steering system
Agree.....200 hp outboard on a 22' boat with a 4 blade prop. The boat is trimmed properly when I can walk away from the helm.

$550 seems awful cheap. Does that include helm, hoses and steering cylinder?

Last edited:

sidewalkman

Cadet
Agree.....200 hp outboard on a 22' boat with a 4 blade prop. The boat is trimmed properly when I can walk away from the helm.

$550 seems awful cheap. Does that include helm, hoses and steering cylinder?

Hey DB, it's on Fleabay from a store I know so seems legit. Engine is at proper height, prop is good, lower is straight but adjusting trim tabs is something new. First time boat owner so that's a polite way of saying I'm stupid. I'm fairly handy but don't know what you're refering to.

A link might help. I searched it and get a bunch of stuff on trim tabs (I don't have any of course) but I'm thinking it has something to do with the actual engine trim port and startboard correct?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
not trim tabS, trim tab...... it's in front of and above the prop.... move it to the right if the steering is pulling right and left is pulling left

sidewalkman

Cadet
Thanks everyone......I'll play with it and see if that helps, probably will, I think mine is dead center and the torque steer is to the left.