Considering New Anchor and a Windlass Installation . . .

tpenfield

Staff member
Now that the boating season is winding down in the northeast US, I am looking towards certain enhancements to my boat over the winter. Top of the list is a windlass and a suitable anchor/rode to go with it.

I have scoped out a windlass (Lewmar V700) and various hardware. Project budget is around $1600 and it is 'Admiral approved'. I knew that making her haul up the anchor this season would do the trick :)

One aspect that is 'up in the air' is the type of anchor. . . .

I currently use a Danforth (fluke) anchor, which is fine in sand, but has issues with mud (too hard to retrieve) and seaweed/rocky (too hard to set).

Many of the Formula 330's that came with a windlass installed had Claw (Bruce) anchors. (I'm thinking because they fit nicely to the shape of the bow . . . but maybe there was more to it :noidea: )

Lots of boats that I see in the area have Plow (Delta) anchors.

There are some newer style anchors, but they seem to be pricey :rolleyes:

I have searched the Internet for various reviews/ratings of anchor types with mixed results. My inclination is to go with the Plow (Delta) type, but I am not sure how it will all work out with the bow roller installation, etc. I was considering going with the Claw style, since it is what Formula used, but various sources of ratings that I have come across put them somewhat low on the ratings scale.

I am wondering if anyone has a more definitive source for anchor ratings or other advice on this project. I anchor in sand when available, but also find myself in mud, seaweed and rocky situations.

I will probably start a thread once I get rolling on this for real . . . still in the planning stages. TIA for any input.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I myself am partial to Danforth anchors. Its what I grew up with. The delta/wingstyle works well in most conditions and is better than the fluke style in a grassy/weedy bottom. Plus the Delta/wing/plow works for fitting on the bow with a windlass. I would keep the Danforth handy as a backup.

Plenty of comparisons on line

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I use a Fortress anchor. Never had an anchor that holds as well as it. Most of my usage is in sand.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I don't anchor in any rocky areas, but my good ol' Danforths have always worked fine in sand and mud. I tend to use a high scope, and my current rode includes 20 feet of chain. Bear in mind that your windlass will definitely ease retrieval from mud. One trick I learned on my previous boat... if the anchor is 'stubborn' just stop when it's stuck, and let the natural up and down movement of the boat work it free. Usually works, without straining the windlass.

It's probably a little out of your budget, but I was so impressed with the rope-only GOOD windlass that came with my Carver, that I upgraded to a newer rope/chain model. It's simply head and shoulders over the Simpson-Lawrence (absorbed by Lewmar) that I had on my 27' Four Winns. The Good is built like a rock, it's very quiet, and it pulls with no help from me (bumping the throttle) even in a 20 knot wind. Rather than grabbing chain in the same toothed-wheel gipsy that grabs the rope, the Good's gipsy also has dogs on it that fit in the chain links. No wear on the gipsy that way. Very positive and smooth action. Great customer support, too. I ordered mine directly from the factory, where they made up my rode with an extra 10' of chain at my request.

My .02

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks for the input so far, guys. I try not to anchor in rock or seaweed areas, but sometimes, you don't have a lot of choice or cannot really tell. I do see a lot of Delta anchors on boats in my area, and they seem to set fairly well. so, that might be the way to go.

I had seem some info on the web that the Claw anchors were fairly good at a variety of conditions and yet other information that indicated the opposite. I figure that the anchor choice is only about $100 worht of the cost, so if I have to get a different one, not the end of the world.

I have a couple of fluke (danforth) anchors as back-up and for the stern.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
I love my Delta. Works great on my bow roller too. It's a 22 lb and you are welcome to borrow it to try it out if you'd like. I also have a 15 lb Bruce you can experiment with if you want.

Last edited:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
If it makes any difference to you; when stored on the same roller, the Delta has a higher profile than the Bruce claw. I have a smaller, lighter boat than you, so my gear is lighter, but I've got no complaints so far with my Delta. The Danforth that I used for years without chain had difficulty grabbing in hard sand, even with lots of scope. The Delta only has a couple of feet of chain, but seems to bite better in hard sand than the Danforth. - Grandad

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks MM and Grandad for your words about the Delta anchors. I see a fair number of folks use those in my area and they seem to set well without too much scope.