water sports can I do it

Lake time

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just finished redoing a boat I got this summer it's a 1964 14 ft mfg niagra with a 1963 40hp jonhson super seahorse it does 32 mph on the water I was wondering if that will be enough to water ski, tube, and maby wake bored, just wondering if it can do it

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You can ski on two skis and wakeboard. You could also ride a hydrofoil or kneeboard. Your boat is light, which lets it work with a 40 hp, but don't have much that would be 'extra' weight in it. The biggest trick will be keeping the bow down as you start if you are towing.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Trim Tabs can be real pricey, say $600 a set. There are spring-loaded ones for less. I would try out the boat for your water sports and see how she does. You might want to upgrade in size and power as the kids get bigger.

32 MPH is pretty good speed for that combo. I would think that is max speed, and the boat will take some time to plane. Knee and Wakeboards do not require the speed that water skis need, but they can need more power, at the lower speeds than the current prop can provide.

A prop with smaller pitch might be better for water sports, as it will deliver more power, although with less speed.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
You will find that yes, you can do most water sports but as a skier or wakeboarder gets more proficient, he will actually pull the stern out on hard cuts. You will also find that as you and your kids get more proficient, not only will you need more power, you will need more room. That size boat is really only good for a driver, spotter, and skier. Toss in equipment and it is just too crowded for any more people. BUT HEY! When I was in my 20s, I didn't have much money and that was what I skied behind.

Lake time

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Right I hear ya its my first boat I got it for nothing guy next door came down with cancer and doesn't have time for her anymore it's been sitting since 04 I plan on restoring it and wet sand the whole thing and buff it I plan on mostly fishing off it but every once in awhile taking it out and screw around with it on a nice day I plan on going bigger eventually but it's a good start iv learned so much about boats and outboards so I'm a happy camper thanks for all the help any other pointers on water sports

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
I learned to ski behind a 40 hp OB but back then I weighed 100 lbs. Those older OBs have a lot more torque than the newer 2 strokes. We upgraded from a 76 whaler to a 96 and it was no nearly as good at pulling out a skier.

pckeen

Commander
You can do it - and I've towed a tube loaded with young teenagers behind a 50hp - it wasn't ideal, but it worked.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I learned to ski behind a 15' wood runabout boat,1963ish 28 hp evinrude. It was very do-able when I was younger/lighter.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I learned to ski behind my 13' boat and 25 hp Wizard and same boat with an 18 Evinrude. On people jerking you around back there like Frank mentioned, if you get the yoke with a floating roller that attaches across the transom to both cleats and floats out behind the engine, the drag angle moves about the boat better and I found that this vs just tying the rope to one transom cleat helps to reduce it. Only way to minimize it is with a bigger boat and engine. Also, get a poly rope that floats. If the rope doesn't float it WILL wind up in your prop. Also it's easier for you to see when you drag it around for the skier to grab. On pulling the skier up out of the water, tips of the skis visible, and when you get the ok nod, firewall the throttle and keep it constant. You need a nice solid handle to pull against, especially for beginners.

Mark