Calibrating a new Tach

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
I put a new tach in, it works fine, however I know the RPM's are off. There is an adjustment screw on the back to calibrate it, but I'm not sure what tool I can use to set it correctly. I looked for hand-held tachs and those cost more than the one I put on. Can I borrow something from an autoparts store? I'm not even exactly sure what tool to request.

I have a 1995 carbureted volvo 7.4 if that helps at all. Thanks

saumon

Lieutenant
What model of tach did you get? Some are made for outboard and others for inboard.

The screw on the back isn't an adjustement screw, it's a selector switch and must be set according to the number of cylindres of your engine.

Last edited:

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
What model of tach did you get? Some are made for outboard and others for inboard.

The screw on the back isn't an adjustement screw, it's a selector switch and must be set according to the number of cylindres of your engine.

Faria 33807 which said it is for I/O motors. There is an adjustment screw along with the cylinder selector on the back. It reads slow by a few hundred RPM.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Oh ok, I'll bite. .. how do you know it's off?
Good question. 2 things.

1. I can hear it (I did carb adjustments at the same time) and I set it to 600 RPM when not in gear and I can tell it's faster.
2. Even though it says I'm doing 500 rpm at idle I'm going much faster. Leaves a bit of a wake now and it didn't do that before. Not to mention the extra thunk when it goes into gear.

saumon

Lieutenant
Faria 33807 which said it is for I/O motors. There is an adjustment screw along with the cylinder selector on the back. It reads slow by a few hundred RPM.
So is yours at the "3" setting (for 8 cylinders engines)?

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
So is yours at the "3" setting (for 8 cylinders engines)?

Yes. I had to double check it because I had the selector stuck between 2 settings at one point and the needle would just go all the way over.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class
You could try a sirometer (any good small engine repair shop should have one on hand). Otherwise, the small digital tachs are about as cheap as a sirometer, and probably easier for the general layperson to use and understand...

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Had an old dwell meter that had a tac setting. Don't know if ya could still find one?