Your opinion requested

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't know, that seems in line with the boats of that style and size I see for sale in my area, we have a large number of these due to some very large bodies of water in the area. I get to see quite a few of them and for this age, it looks to be around the same as they are asking in my area.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
You've been on this board since 2003. I'd assume you know what to look for in any boat, and especially one of this age. Might be a great price might be a pile of junk. Pics always make the subject look better than it really is.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
I appreciate that MTBoatGuy. I haven't really priced any glass boats in that size/age recently.
airdvr1227, you know what they say about the word "assume" right?
I have been on this site since 2003. But, life took a different route than I had originally planned. Currently, most of my experience has been with aluminum boats and outboards.

AK Chappy

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
My guess is there is less used inventory to chose from in Alaska than in most places in the lower 48,..

That should have an affect on price,.........

Ned L

Commander
I am not familiar with "Glas Ply" as a builder. She does have a distinctive 'Pacific north west' look to her. Granted I'm 3000 away from there and from that market but the price doesn't seem particularly out of line to me. I think once you get away from today's glitzy styling the prices start falling fast. People don't seem interested in paying for boats that will get you there and back safely when things turn nasty.
As you said, this one looks like she needs a good bit of TLC, but that's only cosmetic stuff. If you are serious I would say a good survey is in order.

roffey

Commander
I think if all works 12k seem like an ok price but if things are not in order you could be purchasing a project boat, a large project boat.

aspeck

Staff member
For that age around here, it would seem a tad high. But in Alaska, where the supply isn't what it is around here, it could be a good deal if the engines are solid and so are the decks, stringers, and transom. If there are issues, well ... you would have to be the judge of the Alaska market and if it is worth that for a project boat. It would not be for me, regardless of location. But if everything checks out ... you could be golden in Alaska ...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
it would be sky high for down here where there is a fiberglass boat on every corner. if the boat is in good shape and you want it, go for it. check the transom and stringers with a moisture meter.

pckeen

Commander
My guess is there is less used inventory to chose from in Alaska than in most places in the lower 48,..

That should have an affect on price,.........

But there are fewer buyers too....

agallant80

Commander
Looks like a money pit. Old volovs with old outdrives, who know how many soft sports the deck has, the thing is filthy, trailer is rusted junk. All I see is throwing money at the thing. But hey if you had a six-pack you could charter and earn your losses back...

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
"Excellent Condition".. I love seller's descriptions...

Just my opinion, but I hope the seller's 'condition scale' also includes the higher ranks of "Really excellent condition", "extremely excellent condition", "so excellent you won't believe it!", and "brand new still in the crate!!" . Otherwise, I'd hate to see the seller's view of "needs work"...

In my mind, 'excellent condition' means it may need a wash job. That boat needs a wee bit more than a wash job. It's not in horrible condtion. But it's not in excellent condition either...

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
My opinion is that is a 'name your price' kind of boat. $12K would not be the price I had in mind. Maybe 1/4 of that at most. Those 1970's seat cushions alone would disqualify it from being considered 'excellent' condition :facepalm:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looking at the aged cabin pix I could almost smell the musty odor from here in WA State. Of course you know she's a salty dog and has spent it's life in the brine. I would be very selective about dropping that kind of bank on large boat that hasn't had any updates in it's life other than one carb rebuild and 2 new coils. I'm thinking the guy is unloading before he's stuck with the impeding hole in the water that needs filled with money.

Volphin

Lieutenant
Pay a pro to check it out. FYI, I think there is a Glasply forum on the net...

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
Thanks all. I have a lot to learn in regards to fiberglass boats evidently. I am gonna pass on this one. I appreciate everyone's input.