Tender/ Dinghy

I am looking for something that can be used for the basic job of a tender But my biggest need is for fishing.
The boat we are looking to purchase in the near future can accomodate up to a 15 foot boat and has a davit at 1000 lbs.
Now there will be 2 people in it fishing most of the time and in both salt and fresh water. I am looking for the biggest or
deepest and lightest I can get with room to move around and a bow able to handle mounting a trolling motor on it
and able to mount rod holders and a couple of battery box's and maybe even a larger fuel tank.

I have looked at whalers and carolina skiffs but they run so heavy and not sure about the inside free board being deep enough
for the other fishing person. Now I have been told ribs and similar boats work well for fishing but imo I dont think I want to mess with them.
I thought about a deep V or semi or modified v fiberglass but so far all have lower sides and again I want others to feel more safe.

So I know that smaller aluminum boats do not fair well in salt water, but what is fair well anyway? 1 year or 5 years? I mean what about a lot of bottom paint and fresh water wash downs after each use ? I bring up aluminum simply because they run lighter for the size and tend to have a deeper fit. So I am open to any suggestions and as far as HP goes it all depends on the boat but not looking to go much bigger then say 30 horse.
Thank You and have a great week end
jim

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Aluminum should do fine. What I've found with the 16' Sylvan dual console boat I bought is that the quality of the fittings bolted to the hull (not the hull itself) are poorly suited to a salt water environment. Lots of Zamak and carpeting. Zero stainless steel. I stripped the carpeting off the wooden deck, fixed a couple weak areas, and painted the deck with white non-skid marine paint.

So, my advice would be to keep it simple. My experience is limited, but I think a bare bones model will do okay. I'd look to add or replace the davit mounting points with stainless, but I think a fresh water washdown after use will keep it in good shape.

My .02

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Ribs are light, roomy, can drive them by tiller or central console. With a 30 HP would be a overall perfect fishing, cruising combo. Check Defender, lots of them to choose from.

Happy Boating

JoLin,
Thank You and thats kind of what I was thinking as well. Simple heavy duty 15 deep V and maybe alight wood sub floor and as you said change some fittings and good to go. Thanks asgain
Jim

Sea Rider,
I will check out the defenders and see how they look. One of my main concerns is how safe the passenger will feel. Me I would do fine in a canoe
Thank You again
Jim

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
RIBs are way more stable than the equivalent sized "hard" boat.

Not a big point, but still, if you use a hard boat as a tender you will need fenders on it when using it as a tender. A RIB is it's own fender.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
30 hp engine: _______200 lbs

2 batteries: _________120 lbs

bow mounted
trolling motor: ________80 lbs

20 g gas/tank: _______140 lbs

Misc gear
anchor etc: __________100 lbs

Total: _______________640 lbs

Boat weight: ___________360 lbs

Better name it the SS Hindenburg because your only hope of a hard bottom boat anywhere near the size you are indicating with the gear you specified coming in under the 1000 lbs your davit is rated for will be a rib filled with hydrogen....

Last edited: