Laws regarding purchasing a boat in Wisconsin if residing in Illinois?

scupper2112

Recruit
If I bought a boat in Wisconsin and have a summer home in Wisconsin but am a resident of Illinois what are my options?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Most/all states say that if you boat more than X number of days in their waters, you need to register it in that state. Your actual place of legal residence doesn't make any difference. In your case, register in Wisconsin.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I reside in Wisconsin just minutes north of the Illinios border and use many of these southern lakes. From my observation I doubt you would believe the number of boats here that are registered in Illinios yet are permanently keep here. What that does is deny the state DNR money to manage and care for these waters. Instead the money goes to another state to use on waters that the boat will never use.

So if you own a cabin or residence here in Wisonsin and care about the water you use register it here. I you want that money to go to fight invasive species, erosion, fish stocking programs, water quality or law enforcement on an Illinios lake then go ahead. Just don't complain when your local lake here is over run with milafoil, zebra mussles or asian carp.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Reading below, If you intend to have the boat in WI more than 60 days you need to register in WI and if you intend to use it in IL more than 60 days you need to register in IL. IF you plan to keep it in WI for longer than 60 days AND plan to also use in IL more than 60 days then you need to register in IL AND purchase the reg. sticker in WI as well.

This would be to comply with the law.... IF you want to get away with less then you are on you are on your own.

Pulled from .gov websites:

Wisconsin:
You must have a Wisconsin Certificate of Number (i.e. registration) and expiration decals to legally operate a recreational vessel legally. Exceptions to the requirement to register a recreational vessel include:
  • sailboats 12 feet of length or less and not equipped with a motor
  • sailboards
  • manually propelled vessels that are not equipped with a motor or sail
  • vessels registered in another state and using Wisconsin waters for less than 60 consecutive days.
Illinois:
All watercraft other than non-powered watercraft on the waters within the jurisdiction of this State shall be registered and titled.
Canoes, kayaks and paddle boats are no longer required to be titled/registered in Illinois UNLESS they have a motor or sail; otherwise customers will be able to purchase a 'Water Usage Stamp' for $6.00 per calendar year for each of the first three vessels, and $3.00 each for any additional vessels . Please note: an agent fee of $.50 will be charged per vessel. All of the new Water Usage Stamps must be purchased at the same time to receive the discount.
Water Usage Stamps are mandatory for all non-powered watercraft, except those with an Illinois registration that does not expire until June 30, 2014 (“14”) or June 30, 2015 (“15”). They are available, over the counter, at any point-of-sale vendor beginning June 19, 2013.
State law requires that the purchaser of a powered watercraft shall, within 15 days after purchase, make application to the Department for registration/title. Watercraft purchased from a dealer, the dealer must within 15 days mail or deliver the application to the Department.

Also couldn't copy/past this part but...

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/recreation/boating/Documents/BoatDigest.pdf

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
WI charges sales tax on used boats. Does IL?

I'm not saying I'm not saying I'm just saying.....

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
It is a lot easier to register a boat in WI.
It is cheaper to register a boat in WI.
You do not need to title, register, or put plates on a trailer under 3000# gross, in WI.

If you bought a boat without a title, or a trailer without a title, you will have a heck of a time registering either in Il.

If you plan on leaving the boat in WI, the answer is easy, register in WI.

The only problem that could arise, is if you are towing in IL, your residence is in IL, and your tow vehicle is registered in IL.
In this case, the trooper will tell you that your trailer needs to be registered and plated in IL.
He may, or may not, give you a ticket.

If you have a title for the boat and trailer, go ahead and register in IL, then you can take it anywhere with no worries.

We ( WI ), don't have a bunch of cops looking at all the cabins to see how long a boat from out of state has been parked there.
Actually, we rather enjoy you coming here to spend all your vacation money. :)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Another point to concider. Depending on where you live and which waters you would plan ot use in Illinios remember that Illinios has the Fox River Chain Wter Management Sticker that you have to buy each year. Not cheap from what I hear which is probably why I see so many Illinios boats down here.

"We ( WI ), don't have a bunch of cops looking at all the cabins to see how long a boat from out of state has been parked there."

Actually I wish they did. At least down in this end of the state. Down here there are a lot of summer/weekend homes on the lakes to which many have 5-8 boats moored at their piers and all with out-of-state registration.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Actually I wish they did. At least down in this end of the state. Down here there are a lot of summer/weekend homes on the lakes to which many have 5-8 boats moored at their piers and all with out-of-state registration.

True, but it is simply impossible for law enforcement to monitor these boats 24/7 for 60 days, to see if they left for a day, or not.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I understand that but it is pretty obvious when they are kept up on a lift. Some of these homes actually look like mini-marinas. But when one adds it all up that is a lot of money the State DNR is losing out on.