Horsepower on modified boat

grinder48

Cadet
Moved post to forum "Boat Restoration, Building and Hull Repair"

Your original post -

I have 15' War Eagle welded aluminum boat, 15" transom, tiller steer, rated for 25HP (and has the required Coast Guard label stating this). Per CG calculations, this is correct for this hull with 15" transom and tiller steering. But if the boat had a 20" transom and remote steering it would be rated for 60 HP. If I modify the boat by adding remote steering and build the transom to 20", it will still have the 25 HP limit on the label. Of course the boat manufacturer isn't going to give me a new label for the modified boat. How should I deal with this? How can I contact the CG directly for answers? No offense intended but please don't offer suggestions like "buy a new boat", I've laid out this boat exactly as I need for my use, just want to add remote steering and more HP (about 40). Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I believe no matter what you do, it will be rated at 25 HP for liability and legality. As much as you don't want to hear it, your best bet is buy a boat that meets your requirements. Or live with the 25 HP.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You didn't move the post, you made a duplicate. This one has been restored. Please do no create multiple topics on the same subject in multiple forums. Thanks.

This forum is the right forum given your questions.

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
There is a generic formula for determining max HP rating and as i recall it is (hull length in feet * Transom width in feet * transom height in feet) - 90. So if your dimensions haven't changed then really your hp shouldn't either.

I don't think the rating is based on how much HP the boat can withstand mechanically but rather how it affects the stability of the boat.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Yes, remote steering and 20 inch transom do increase the horsepower rating. Now, I don't recommend it, but your computer does have a graphics application which works very well for making up new capacity plates. So, if you do the modifications WELL--and the operative word is well, meaning looking professional, not shoddy--you might consider using your computer.

grinder48

Cadet
Frank - Thanks. I'm a nut for doing work that's right and looks "factory". I was a marine dealer for many years and I've seen a lot of shoddy work so I can relate to what you wrote.

GA_Boater - Sorry for my goof, was just trying to do right thing. Thanks for helping me out.

If anyone else has additional input it will be much appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Frank - Thanks. I'm a nut for doing work that's right and looks "factory". I was a marine dealer for many years and I've seen a lot of shoddy work so I can relate to what you wrote.

GA_Boater - Sorry for my goof, was just trying to do right thing. Thanks for helping me out.

Ayuh,.... Throw the tag away,.... It'll no longer be the boat is was,....

It'll be yer creation,.... Experimental,.... One-off,...

Give it yer own serial number, 'n print yer own tag, sayin' whatever ya want,....

Ayuh,.... Throw the tag away,.... It'll no longer be the boat is was,....

It'll be yer creation,.... Experimental,.... One-off,...

Give it yer own serial number, 'n print yer own tag, sayin' whatever ya want,....

If you go that route the proper thing to do would be to register it as a homebuilt boat. You'll need to check with whatever agency in your state handles boat registrations/titles, as they're all different.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Is a CG capacity sticker even required in your state?
They are required on new boats, but some states don't require that the placard be on the boat.

Are you boating in CG waters?

You can get a new sticker here:

http://garzonstudio.com/boat/capacity-decal.html

Last edited:

grinder48

Cadet
Thanks all ... great suggestions. I live in GA and will not be in CG waters. It makes sense to me that it will no longer be the boat as originally manufactured so it should be re-registered as a homebuilt boat. I'll look into that and garzonstudio.com as well. Again, thanks for your input.

NYBo

Admiral
The remote steering alone may be enough to get you to a 40 HP capacity.