2005 Glastron SX 170 w/ 150 HP Merc xr6

RvL3RN

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all, 1st post here. I have been using these forums for years but never made an account until today. This site is amazing and the community as well.

I am planning on purchasing this 2005 Glastron SX 170 with the beast motor on it this week from a local dealer. It's in amazing condition, single owner, and the motor has low hours. Asking price is $ 12,995. Having no experience with Glastron, I was just looking for comments or experiences with these boats. This will be my 3rd boat... my last 2 were a 1995 14ft aluminum Sea Nymph with a 9.9 Yamaha, and a recently sold 1984 bayliner 165 cuddy with (probably the best ) 85 HP Force I've seen.

Please if you may, Pros and Cons would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance

DSC06139.jpg DSC06135.jpg DSC06137.jpg DSC06140.jpg DSC06141.jpg DSC06142.jpg
DSC06145.jpgDSC06148.jpg DSC06150.jpgDSC06152.jpg DSC06155.jpgDSC06156.jpg DSC06158.jpgDSC06159.jpg DSC06164.jpg

Attachments

• DSC06135.jpg
    DSC06135.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC06137.jpg
    DSC06137.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer
She looks to be in great shape and that XR6 is a great motor, but I think $12,995.00 is a little strong for a 10 year old 17' Glastron with a carbed Mercury on it.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Price seems way high. I spent less than that for my 18' Four Winns with a DI 150 HP in 2010.

RvL3RN

Seaman Apprentice
I agree, was going to offer lower even though it is below NADA. What would you all suggest as an opening offer?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 0

Twidget

Commander
I paid that exact amount for a 2005 185SX Glastron in 2007. I am under the impression an I/O like mine is less expensive than an outboard powered boat.

Having said that, the Glastron was a great boat that was well made.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
No Title

My BIL has a 2001 GX180 w/carbed Johnson 150 outboard. Bought used in 2004 but in showroom-clean shape for $11,000. It's been a solid boat.
At the time Glastron sold both a GX170 and GX180. I believe both had a max. hp plate of 150 hp and that is a good match for the boat. THE BOAT WAS A BEAR TO DRIVE BEFORE INSTALLING HYDRAULIC STEERING. Yes, we had adjusted the steering trim tab correctly, but the torque of the V6 made it a pain when straightening the boat out after a tight turn. My sister didn't like to drive it for the three years of ownership before that. $1,000 or whatever it cost was well spent and should have been standard rigging for the 150.

Running a 21" pitch SS 3-blade. Can't recall the manufacturer. I think there was a 19" pitch standard on that motor but we have never had on the boat.
10 yrs later it still runs 54-55 mph gps in light chop driving solo.

A few fun pics below. Right after we bought it (having pulled up our six small kids with his old 16' Glastron with 115 Merc) we had to give it a go with the 180. We tried 9 skiers initially. Dragged about 150' a couple of time before having my youngest son give up and jump in the boat to do camera duty. None of us are really big people three adults, some high-schoolers and one in jr hight. Pretty impressive without a power prop. Honestly we dragged a long time. :)

Attachments

• photo211102.jpg
    photo211102.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo211103.jpg
    photo211103.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo211104.jpg
    photo211104.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo211106.jpg
    photo211106.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
I agree, was going to offer lower even though it is below NADA. What would you all suggest as an opening offer?

What's the NADA value? I can't believe it's higher than 13k. I would think it would be more in the $8k range.

I can tell you that boat with a 3.0 IO motor in my area in the summer would sell for about $10k, typically outboard versions have a lower resale value but there's not a lot of them out so that is very subjective.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Ah I see it now, it just shows up as a image link on my computer so I missed it, sorry.

I'm surprised the NADA is higher for outboard versions. That doesn't fit with what I've seen in my area but like I've said there are not a lot them around to compare.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer
NADA is useless for boats. Bring up NADA when you're trying to trade a boat in and dealers will laugh and tell you it's worthless. How do I know? Because I traded a boat in about 1.5 years ago. I talked to 3 dealers all of them laughed at the NADA values when we started talking numbers for the trade-in. I'm willing to bet they have somewhere between $8-9K in that boat.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
As with most debates there isn't a black and white answer to if NADA is good or not. If you're trying to find out if a 30 year old jon boat with a 40 year old outboard 5 HP motor is worth $400 or $800 then yeah it is probably worthless. If you want to know what a common late model boat is worth then it is accurate. I buy and sell a lot of boats and I look up the NADA on almost everyone of them. Do I pay and sell for exactly what that number says, of course not. But it gives more info than I had two minutes before I looked up that number.

I would bet dollars to donuts one, two or all of those salesman that laughed at your NADA number references it when they are pricing boats.

RvL3RN

Seaman Apprentice
Yay! I got them down in price, plus free winterization/summarization and storage for the winter... In the spring they will install my Humminbird. This thing is clean.. It's going to be a long winter! I've updated the OP with more pics! Feedback appreciated

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
With all the complexity of today's engines, carbed may not be all that bad. At least you can work on it and it doesn't have a bunch of stuff to fail. Course I can't knock the performance, especially ease of starting, with all those current production whistles and bells. A test drive is a must which will show you how to launch and load, and any little performance/usage tips from the owner. Every "rig" has it's uniqueness.

You have to make a couple of decisions here. Are you buying to resell or keep. If keep, condition means a lot and considering what new ones bring and the shape this one's in, I wouldn't insult him with too low a price. Might turn on you and refuse to sell it.

Just remember money spent is just that and you'll never see it again. It's a means to an end. The end is what you get with it and that is what is with you and every time you look at it or use it, it's the enjoyment that matters.

What I think is a shame is the difference between prices posted for junk and something like this is insulting. I just donated my boat just because nobody would give me what it was really worth and I just decided to give it to a charitable institution that certainly had a need for it. Yes I got a tax write off.

Good luck and nice boat.

Mark

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Good to hear, it looks really clean, probably very low hours.

I have a similar trailer that came with my Glastron also, it's the best trailer I've ever pulled and loaded. The bunks fit the hull perfectly and make it almost impossible to load incorrectly.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Yay! I got them down in price, plus free winterization/summarization and storage for the winter... In the spring they will install my Humminbird. This thing is clean.. It's going to be a long winter! I've updated the OP with more pics! Feedback appreciated
Looking at the engine lower unit tells a lot more about the care this boat has had. Obvious factory paint on the lower unit and skeg. Prop is unscathed, obviously seldom used and when so, well cared for. Really this says a lot about the PO. Seldom if ever will you find a used boat with the engine's lower unit and prop in this kind of condition.

This boat is a treasure, even if you have to spend a few bucks on some piddly stuff on the engine to update it.....aka rubber in the fuel line (internal and external) and a new impeller in the water pump which takes a "set" over time and that causes the blades to bend back and stay there. The carbs man not even have any varnish in them and you won't have to fool with that.

A little Sea Foam to the fuel will help to clean up any varnish or carbon in the combustion chambers.

Man it's going to be a long winter........for you.......Grin Great purchase. By the way, Glastron and Merc are premier badges. You probably got a reduced price due to it being the end of the season......aw shucks, too bad for the seller. Since it appears that you bought it from a dealer, then you might negotiate with them for looking into the things I mentioned....maybe at a reduced price due to the purchase and all. Have them do it over the winter, when workloads are slack for them, so you will be ready to go next spring.

Mark

Last edited:

RvL3RN

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Texasmark and the rest of ya for your comments.! This is the cleanest 10 yr old used boat I've ever seen. True, I did get from a dealer, who was selling for a gentleman who used it to trade up to a 22' cruiser. Apparently the single PO was very meticulous. It was never stored outdoors or left in the water. It was winterized and summarized every year and cleaned after every outing. When I went to see it, it was in their showroom with all the brand new 2014-2015 models. This thing looked as in new of condition as the new ones. The motor is immaculate. Does not appear to be any dings, dents, scratches, peeling paint... Prop is in brand new condition. I cant wait to blast off with that V-6 150 Merc in this light bowrider!

Even the trailer is immaculate. Brand new tires with spare on some custom rims, swing away tongue, fender step-ups... Nice bright red to match my trim, and not a scratch on her.

The one thing that made me look at this Gaston was the VEC construction. The Hull and Deck are all fiberglass and done up in just 2 pieces... meaning NO ROTTING WOOD in the past, present, or future. I do not have a large family, am limited to storage space, and plan on towing with my 08 Ford Edge Limited AWD. This 17' is the perfect size, with plenty of power that will be enjoyed by us for a very long time.

As for the maintenance, the dealer (which is an amazing dealership) will service it. New impeller, check all hoses/connectors, charge the battery, fill the gas and oil tank, etc... when it warms up next spring, they are taking me out for a launch, ride, and retrieve demo to show me all the features, workings, and such. Great people, priced well, and did whatever they could to get me financed at a great rate. That really made me feel comfortable with my purchase as opposed to a private seller on craig's list.

My last boat I bought this year was a 1984 Bayliner Cuddy with an 85 HP Force from craig's list. (Don't yell at me!! I was a newb) To look at, it was in great shape for a 30 year old boat. Once I got into it and started investigating I realized that I would need to throw some serious $$$ at it to make if safe and fun. This was my first fiberglass boat and was an upgrade from a 14' aluminum sea nymph. Without first attaining a survey, I found myself in a boat with costly repairs ahead. I ended up getting rid of it and have been on the hunt for a new, non-cuddy 17'er with an OB. After 2 months of searching, I found this little gem.

Is there anyone out there with this exact year/model boat?? Since I cannot get out and enjoy it till next spring, I'd love to hear how fun, bad ***, sharp, functional, etc... it is!!!!!

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you have a customer service oriented dealer and that's what they are supposed to do.....support the customer. Don't be bashful at the trial. Ask any questions you want. Anything you don't understand have them show you.

Good luck.
Mark

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Congrats on a nice boat.
From what I've seen the VEC construction was more substantial and a bit heavier than the same hull shape with prior build. Comparison:

2001 GX 180 hull weight 1420# LOA: 17' 10"
2005 GX 170 hull weight 1440# LOA: 17' 1"
2005 GX 180 hull weight 1710# LOA: 17' 10"
(BTW my 1989 Glastron CVX 16 16' 6" had a hull weight of only 725# )

Since you have such a great dealer, maybe they'd be willing to work with you on upgrading your prop. As mentioned above, we are running a 21" pitch stainless which works really well. No lack of hole shot.