Bayliner 242 SB 2004

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking at upgrading to a newer larger boat. My wife & I like the Bayliner 242 but haven't sea trailed yet. During the season it will be slipped in Dana Point for local fun but to also head to catalina. Has anyone had any experience with this boat in open ocean cruising before? Any info would be great.

ken51k

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A little more information would be helpful. What year is the boat and what motor is in it? I had a same size.boat with the 4.3 V6 and found it to be under powered.

agallant80

Commander
I have a bayliner 255. For open ocean crusing I would pick your weather wisely. I have been out in 6 footers before, she will take it but not well. Plan on calm days in any boat that size.

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class
A little more information would be helpful. What year is the boat and what motor is in it? I had a same size.boat with the 4.3 V6 and found it to be under powered.

Its a 2004 with a 5.0L Alpha One.

ShellBack89

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a bayliner 255. For open ocean crusing I would pick your weather wisely. I have been out in 6 footers before, she will take it but not well. Plan on calm days in any boat that size.

Roger that. I'm very conservative when it comes to open ocean boating. I've taken my 21ft Sea Ray to Catalina 5 times this past summer but always left around 7 am when it was glass plus double checked the weather the night before.

My wife really likes the layout and space use of this boat. I was looking at a 26 but she didn't like the layout and when the Admiral an't happy, no one is happy! I'll be taking it out on a sea trail as soon as the money part is done. We'll be taking it out in open water so I'll get a better idea but wanted to get owners thoughts. Thanks for the reply.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
That boat, like most under-30 foot express cruisers, is really made for protected and semi-protected water (like a bay) use. Light weight, shallow 'v' hull. Not to say you can't take it offshore in good weather, but watch very, very carefully and be prepared to run for cover long before conditions turn nasty. Catalina is what, 20 or so miles off the coast? 10 miles can be a long run to hit landfall if the ocean churns up.

I'd want to upgrade my bilge pumping capacity and make darned sure I had a DSC-equipped VHF tied to a GPS, or a new VHF with built-in GPS (I bought a Standard Horizon for under $200- it's cool).

Have you considered a walkaround cuddy, instead? Those are built on the same hull as a given manufacturer's CC models. Much better suited to open water, tho you'd have to go bigger to get the same cabin space.

My .02